Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: La Bala really taking shape. :D
sgraber

posted on 26/7/04 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
La Bala really taking shape. :D

I managed to spend a couple of hours working on the driver side on Saturday before I wrenched my back and ended up in bed (current location - flat on my back). In any case I don't have much to say about the process, it's really quite boring to do this type of work. Slap some drywall filler on, shape it out, wait for it to dry and then sand it down. Repeat...

The good to be found in this is that out of that boring process a car starts to take shape! Although there is a LOT, and I mean a LOT of work left, if you squint and ignore some glaring areas that need reshaping the car is really taking shape!

I am happy to receive critiques.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 26/7/04 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
did you ever think of rounding off the hard line on the nose? I noticed that it's the only real hard line on the car.
sgraber

posted on 26/7/04 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, that should be a little rounded, it's just roughed in right now but it'll have a bit of rounding.

There's a lot of things not yet right with it...

You have to squint.... really hard. Close the eyes...

Steve Graber

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 26/7/04 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Oooh it's looking so nice!!!!! Congratulations!!! It's the nicest ever!!! Oooh sh, I want one!!!

BTW I got the nice T-shirt I'll be wearing it for the next pics of the car I plan to have taken soon.. to show new aero screen and stuff Nice one, thanks!

PS: I WANT ONE!! Seriously, what a nice car!

sgraber

posted on 26/7/04 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
Oooh it's looking so nice!!!!! Congratulations!!! It's the nicest ever!!! Oooh sh, I want one!!!

BTW I got the nice T-shirt I'll be wearing it for the next pics of the car I plan to have taken soon.. to show new aero screen and stuff Nice one, thanks!

PS: I WANT ONE!! Seriously, what a nice car!

Gracias Alez! So the shirt fits? I am very glad! Thank you for buying it!

I want to sell you one! Seriously!

Won't be ready till next spring at this pace...

Steve Graber

ProjectLMP

posted on 26/7/04 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Looking very good steve. The only critisisim I have is that the back engine cover seems a little flat and featureless. Have you thought about some fairings blending into the seat headrests at bit like the Porsche Carrera GT?

Paul

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Alan B

posted on 27/7/04 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good Bud...

Get well soon.....

sgraber

posted on 27/7/04 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectLMP
Looking very good steve. The only critisisim I have is that the back engine cover seems a little flat and featureless. Have you thought about some fairings blending into the seat headrests at bit like the Porsche Carrera GT?

Paul

I have thought about adding those to the deck behind each seat and it might look nice. I think I will spend a little time on the 3D and post some concepts up on the site.

Do you think that that will do anything aerodynamically? Less wind noise in the cabin possibly?

I think that the flat white color of the drywall plaster masks the shape in the photos. Right now it's a good thing you can't really see the shape of the car because the shape is good from afar, but far from good. Kinda like a girl I knew in college. From across the room you thought she was a bombshell, but when you got up close, her face looked like it had been hit by the bombshell! HAHAHA

Steve Graber

Alez

posted on 27/7/04 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Gracias Alez! So the shirt fits? I am very glad! Thank you for buying it!

I want to sell you one! Seriously!

Won't be ready till next spring at this pace...

Yes it fits perfectly, they have a chart with measurements to choose the size Seems I'm a "M lady"

I'll be following the progress of your project.. and the progress of my savings he he.

(That analogy of the college girl made me laugh.)

Peteff

posted on 27/7/04 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
The back end looks out of proportion to me Steve. You'll be cutting an access to get to the engine so you can make changes to the back using a smaller panel to work on but the back end looks like it's been guillotined off. Rescued attachment grabcar.jpg
Rescued attachment grabcar.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kb58

posted on 27/7/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Alas, the fate that befalls us car builders, while each of us like our own car, getting others to like it is very, very, difficult.

I hope your back gets better soon. Not being able to put on shoes, socks, or even underwear makes a fellow feel really old in a hurry, been there done that.

violentblue

posted on 27/7/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
the lines are calling for lirger diameter rims. because of that, the body around the rear arches looks a little square, some flares there and moulded headrests and it will definatly cure most of the rear proportioning issues.

a few pics of my other projects

sgraber

posted on 27/7/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Kurt, you are spot on about that! LOL

But Peteff make a good point about the back of the car. I like that shape Pete and it looks more like my original design before I added the Jeep Liberty tail lights. In fact, the other side doesn't have that little sailpanel for the rear lights yet and I was liking it better that way. Thinking about using a pair of 5" (10cm?+/-) round red lights on each side instead of the Jeep Liberty pair. More of a mid 80's Ferrari shape. I will post an update to this later tonite.

VBlue, I think I understand what you are saying, but in order to add the flares I will need to reduce the fenders by slimming them towards the center of the car first. Is that what you are saying? Can you photo-edit what you are saying? It seems like a major-major change, but I would do it if it helps the look. HOWEVER, I think in real life it looks better than the photos... You know how that is...

Graber

Steve Graber

JoelP

posted on 27/7/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, a mate looked over my shoulder the other day and said 'Jeez, that looks like a proper car!'

take that as a compliment! i love the look too, BTW.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

sgraber

posted on 27/7/04 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Steve, a mate looked over my shoulder the other day and said 'Jeez, that looks like a proper car!'

take that as a compliment! i love the look too, BTW.

Sweet Joel, That is motivating.

I still feel that Peteff and others are right, there is still room for improvement in the decklid, the rear, and the front fascia.

Graber

Steve Graber

JoelP

posted on 27/7/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
id just stick an escudo style spoiler on the back! off the pikes peak version...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

sgraber

posted on 27/7/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
id just stick an escudo style spoiler on the back! off the pikes peak version...

YEAH! Let's do that!. not...

Steve Graber

Spyderman

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Steve!
You really have been working hard.

It looks a lot like the current MR2 in side profile. Comment not criticizm!

Terry

ps; I've tried posting this 4 times sofar and comp reset every time, bloody computers!

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 28/7/04 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
I like the shape.

Put a curve in the swage line before the rear arch and you'll be on the way to a winner Steve.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

sgraber

posted on 28/7/04 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Put a curve in the swage line before the rear arch and you'll be on the way to a winner Steve.

I'll do it! I'll DO IT!!!

But what exactly do you mean!?

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 28/7/04 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
I spent a couple of minutes changing out the shape of the tail light area to accept twin 5" round lights instead of the Liberty Ones. This is in response to Peteff's comments.

What does this do for you?

And I have more of these renders on my site... HERE

Steve Graber

derf

posted on 28/7/04 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
big improvement, makes the rear look alot more defined that way.
ProjectLMP

posted on 28/7/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I like it a lot better. You know what may break up the large rear deck lid, some recessed cooling vents. From experience with and my friends Ultima, you will need some cooling because the engine bay got very hot especially when stood still.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

derf

posted on 28/7/04 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think I got the fix for you so that the rear doesnt look so flat, I also added a few small touches:

la bala on crack
la bala on crack

[Edited on 28/7/04 by derf]

sgraber

posted on 28/7/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh my GOD! That is sooo like, ahhwesum dude! I especially like the neon. Nice touch. Very elegant.

Graber

PS - you should be SHOT!

Steve Graber

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.