Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: The 'permanently marked on the chassis VIN' - pics please!
jps

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The 'permanently marked on the chassis VIN' - pics please!

As above really - i'd like to see how others have done it - just to see if what I have in mind is in line with that!
loggyboy

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Mines engraved, by Raw, who stupidly put a 'I' in it, which I have since changed to a 1.

Mistral Motorsport

monkeyarms

posted on 20/8/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I stamped mine. At IVA the tester said stamped is fine but their prefered method to see was a thin strip of metal with number stamped on, then fully welded onto chassis, weld all around it.
jps

posted on 20/8/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've got two strips of 3m steel - roughly 15cm long - with the VIN etched into it 1mm deep - with letters about 12mm tall.

I'm thinking of welding one between the two cross members which will support the seat runners - and the other across the bottom chassis rails in the engine bay - at the bulkhead end of the bay. So both of them would be fully welded, but at either end of the strip - rather than all the way around.

adithorp

posted on 20/8/13 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Stanping direct into the chassis is fine but beware of denting the tube. Engraving avoids that risk as does stamping a separate strip and welding that on.

After a few recent IVA fails it appears that if the VIN is on a welded on plate, it must now be seam welded all the way around; Welding just the ends (as mine was for SVA) won't pass anymore.
It must also be on a main structural part of the chassis; Having it as a tag on the side of one member or across between 2 isn't acceptable.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big_wasa

posted on 20/8/13 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I did a stamped strip and seam welded to the chassis.
jps

posted on 20/8/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Is it possible to ring up at IVA test centre and get feedback from actual testers on what they want to see?

I wouldn't interpret the current manual as requiring the VIN to be attached to a 'main structural' part of the chassis...

loggyboy

posted on 20/8/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Is it possible to ring up at IVA test centre and get feedback from actual testers on what they want to see?

I wouldn't interpret the current manual as requiring the VIN to be attached to a 'main structural' part of the chassis...

The chassis is the chassis, doesnt matter if its on the main chassis rail, or one of the cross members, it just cant be on a wishbone, or a pushrod, or engine mount bracket etc.

The wording is clear enough.
The Stamped in VIN must be marked on the chassis, frame or other similar structure which is not easily removable, on the right hand side of the vehicle when viewed from the rear.

[Edited on 20-8-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

adithorp

posted on 20/8/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think that "...is not easily removable..." is the bit they're interpreting the way I said. Now, I'm just going off reports from people who've failed IVA on this, but by all means, interpret it anyway you like.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 20/8/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I'm just going off reports from people who've failed IVA on this

Now some pics of 'what fails' would be good! :-D

The Black Flash

posted on 20/8/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've emailed VOSA twice for clarifications on the manual, and they've been very helpful both times. Takes a few weeks to get the definitive answer but they at least keep you informed. Worth dropping them a line to get the official word...
jps

posted on 20/8/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
I've emailed VOSA twice for clarifications on the manual, and they've been very helpful both times. Takes a few weeks to get the definitive answer but they at least keep you informed. Worth dropping them a line to get the official word...

How do you contact them? I've been struggling to find contact details... Can't find a phone number or email address for the testing stations...?

posted on 20/8/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can't quite get my head round a marking system that involves stamping a plate and welding it on.

If some unscrupulous "****" wants to change the I.D. of the car they just grind it off and weld on another.
Who will be able to tell it's been tampered with?

Might as well use a couple of pop rivets. ( shrug )

Paul G

40inches

posted on 20/8/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I printed the VIN in Word, taped it to chassis, and engraved through the printing, using a cheapo Lidl battery engraver. I sprayed over with clear top coat.
Description
Description

[Edited on 20-8-13 by 40inches]

doobrychat

posted on 20/8/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
same as above..
MsD

posted on 20/8/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a specific size? Or just make it big enough to be readable?

Mark.

loggyboy

posted on 20/8/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsD
Is there a specific size? Or just make it big enough to be readable?

Mark.

Min 3.5mm tall letters.

Mistral Motorsport

paulf

posted on 20/8/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I stamped my VIN on a bit of steel strip and then sikaflexed it to the chassis, if you leave a bead of adhesive around the outside and the paint over it it will look as if it is neatly seam welded.I also have a riveted plate on the opposite side of the chassis .
Paul

The Black Flash

posted on 20/8/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash

How do you contact them? I've been struggling to find contact details... Can't find a phone number or email address for the testing stations...?

approvals@vosa.gov.uk

That gets you an answer from their central policy unit, it's not the testing station, but then should be a more definitive answer.

loggyboy

posted on 20/8/13 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I stamped my VIN on a bit of steel strip and then sikaflexed it to the chassis, if you leave a bead of adhesive around the outside and the paint over it it will look as if it is neatly seam welded.I also have a riveted plate on the opposite side of the chassis .
Paul

Why on earth would you risk a £90 retest just to avoid spending a few mins welding it on?

Mistral Motorsport

Dick Axtell

posted on 21/8/13 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
I can't quite get my head round a marking system that involves stamping a plate and welding it on. If some unscrupulous "****" wants to change the I.D. of the car they just grind it off and weld on another.
Who will be able to tell it's been tampered with? Might as well use a couple of pop rivets. ( shrug )

That also crossed my mind, although I've done it precisely that way.

My_VIN_Plate
My_VIN_Plate

In retrospect, I would have preferred to engrave the VIN directly on to the chassis. There is another VIN stamped on to the chassis, on a less critical member, just under the passenger seat.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

jps

posted on 17/10/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how I've done it in the end - etched onto a 3mm plate - then welded onto a bulkhead - seam welded all the way round.

Sorry about the image size!

Irony

posted on 17/10/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Paul

Why on earth would you risk a £90 retest just to avoid spending a few mins welding it on?

A few minutes? Not all of us have welding facilities at home. If I have to weld this it will mean hiring a man to come and do or trailering the car somewhere.

MsD

posted on 17/10/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Does anybody have or is there a guideline on VIN numbers? Length/ how many numbers/letters?

Thanks, mark.

loggyboy

posted on 17/10/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Its In the IVA manual.

Mistral Motorsport

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.