Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Castor Angle - Sanity Check
GaryMeades

posted on 16/11/04 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Castor Angle - Sanity Check

I'm just about to mount my suspension brackets to the chassis. I've designed a jig inspired from some fine examples in the photo archive (thanks lads).

However, in calculating the relative horizontal (when viewed from the side of the car) positions of the top and bottom wishbones to achieve a castor angle in the region of 5.5 degrees I need to be sure that I'm using the correct vertical distance between the top and bottom wishbones at the upright ends.

(I'm using book chassis and bones dimensions and intend to gusset the brackets if they end up too far off the frame rails)

I've seen some drawings that show the 5.5 degree angle measured with the bones laying parallel to each other (when viewed from the front of the car) which equates to a distance between bone ends of about 182mm.

But when using cortina uprights it would appear that the bones don't end up parallel but instead converge towards the chassis centreline implying a longer distance than 182mm?

Anyone got a (book) completed front suspension setup with 5.5 castor, who could measure the distance between two fixed points at the ends of the top and bottom wishbones for me please?

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Gary

[Edited on 16/11/04 by GaryMeades]

dave69isit

posted on 16/11/04 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
would this help

Rescued attachment FRONT JIG.jpg
Rescued attachment FRONT JIG.jpg

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/11/04 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Dougies jig plan will give abou 2°30' castor unless you modify the top wishbones. I fell into this trap, so redsigned the top bones. It worked out OK because I was unhappy about moving the brackets to a precarious perch hanging on for grim life off the edges of the uprights - no amount of gusseting will remove the angled leverage that this would give.

I have posted this before, but it does give the 22mm setback to give the castor, and now my car is driveable I can now say, hand on heart, that it does self centre nicely Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG
Rescued attachment Wisbone Modification.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mix

posted on 18/11/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The distance between the upper and lower ball joint centres is aprox 225mm. At this distance a 22mm offset will give you 5.5 degrees of castor as Mark says.

Mick

MikeRJ

posted on 18/11/04 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I was unhappy about moving the brackets to a precarious perch hanging on for grim life off the edges of the uprights - no amount of gusseting will remove the angled leverage that this would give.

The way I got around this was to weld an extra horizontal tube between the two upright tubes (FU and the front sloped one), and also moved the FU tube backwards slightly. The top of the coilover gets a little close, but no closer than about 10mm.

Hang on, just knocked up a quick paint drawing:

GaryMeades

posted on 18/11/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, for your help.

Gary

Mix

posted on 19/11/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to make your own wishbones then you can adjust the dimensions to fit the 'L' and 'FU' members.

Mick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.