Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis models- Materials?
Jermyn

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis models- Materials?

I want to build a scale model of my chassis. Maybe 1/20 scale, so no welding. I'm looking for suggestions on materials and techniques som of you may have used to build yours.

If life is a race do you want to be the first one to finish?

Dale

posted on 2/2/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Quick and dirty for a visual--poster board
my rough model took just over an hour to do.
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=20059&page=2

dale

Jermyn

posted on 2/2/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good Idea for the body. Could be tough for me though because I've got compound curves.

Right now, I'm really interested in just the space frame chassis.

krlthms

posted on 2/2/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Balsa wood strips
kb58

posted on 2/2/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, balsa wood. Go to your local hobby supplier and buy some balsa blocks, sheet, and strips, some super glue and a knife.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 2/2/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago I made some models of spaceframe chassis out of brass wire from a model shop. the wires were cut to size then soldered with a soldering iron. Welding or brazing rods would be cheaper. This method is good for seeing the weak points in a design - a good design will be stiff when you twist it. A poor design will flex. The seven style chassis here was based on pictures of a Westfield chassis I saw in a magazine. I'm afraid it flexes more thatn other designs. Rescued attachment P3040003sm.JPG
Rescued attachment P3040003sm.JPG

JonBowden

posted on 2/2/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
This mid-engine chassis is much stiffer - but benefits from impractical triangulation in the front and rear sections. Rescued attachment P3040004sm.JPG
Rescued attachment P3040004sm.JPG

timsta

posted on 3/2/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Thanx Jon

That's just what I needed. I need to build a model with curved chassis members. I was wondering how I'd bend balsa sticks!

Brass would be perfect!

TheGecko

posted on 3/2/05 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of different points:

Jermyn - I'll agree with kb58 and others; balsa is cheap and easy to work with. I'd go bigger than 1:20 scale however. At that size 25mm (1" ) tubes aren't much bigger than 1mm (50 thou) ! Not easy to work with and VERY fragile. I've built some models at 1:10 which is very easy to do scale calculations on (at least in metric ). I've also done a few at 1:6 because I have a 1:6 artists dummy that I can then use for scale comparison and reality checks.

timsta - curved chassis tubes are EVIL! They might look cute on the Ariel Atom but they're weaker than using straight tubes of the same size (which is why the Atom side rails are quite large diameter). Colin Chapman used to describe the curved chassis tubes on the Cooper formula cars as "pre-failed"! Proceed with caution

JonBowden - very nice work!

Dominic

[Edited on 3/2/2005 by TheGecko]

timsta

posted on 3/2/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
timsta - curved chassis tubes are EVIL! They might look cute on the Ariel Atom but they're weaker than using straight tubes of the same size (which is why the Atom side rails are quite large diameter). Colin Chapman used to describe the curved chassis tubes on the Cooper formula cars as "pre-failed"! Proceed with caution

I realise this, but when you're trying to create a Atom replica you really don't have too much choice!

Warning noted..

[Edited on 3/2/05 by timsta]

TheGecko

posted on 3/2/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
when you're trying to create a Atom replica you really don't have too much choice!

That's the fun part of making a replica - you get to copy the faults, flaws and failings as well as the good stuff

Good luck - I look forwrad to seeing the model pics here.

Dominic

Jermyn

posted on 3/2/05 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Jon,

Your model construction is excellent. It is exactly what I want to simulate. Couple questions...

1. Were the brass rods solid or hollow?

2. What sort of amperage/power soldering iron did it take? I have a smaller one I use for electrical work and a trigger-gun type one. I cannot recall the amperage off hand. But it seems that it may take a while to get the rod hot enough with the type I have.

3. Was there a specific solder you used? Lead mix? electrical type? etc...

4. Did you have to use flux?

JonBowden

posted on 3/2/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
1. solid, about 18 swg.

2. I used an 18W small electrical iron, but more power would have helped.

3. Ordinary 22swg tin and lead multicore solder - from any electronic component shop.

4. No flux was added (the solder above has flux in it). Just clean the brass rod ends.

Note, there is some skill needed to solder well but it is not hard to learn (easier than welding) - just practice first

Jon

JonBowden

posted on 3/2/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Jermyn

This might give you some inspiration for a taller and wider seven.
This is a Kougar Sports (http://www.kougar-cars.com). It isn't really a locost - based around Jag bits.

Jon Rescued attachment 22.jpg
Rescued attachment 22.jpg

Rorty

posted on 4/2/05 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
Coathangers and steel brake line soldered together with silver solder, flux and a refillable butane blowtorch works very well.
You can actually get micro bore brass and steel tube from model shops. Very expensive though unless you can find their source and buy sensible lengths. Rescued attachment scale_model01.jpg
Rescued attachment scale_model01.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jermyn

posted on 4/2/05 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
THANKS

Thanks to everyone who gave me some ideas. I went to the hobby store yesterday and picked up some brass 2mm RHS. They sold it in 1ft lengths. It was about $1 a foot. I bought 10ft. I will probably have to go back and get more.

They actually had all different kinds of the stuff. Hollow, solid, round, square, L-shaped, C-shaped, and plates. Aluminum, brass, copper and steel. Rescued attachment 114_1472.JPG
Rescued attachment 114_1472.JPG

MikeR

posted on 4/2/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, sure i once heard that a solid 2.5mm balsa strip has similar properties to 25mm 1.6mm steel tube. If i'm not wrong i'd reconmend that.
cymtriks

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
JonBowden

Nice mid engined chassis.

I have considered something similar but as a full width body is out of the question in my cramped garage I'll probably be aiming for something more 7 shaped.

I notice the double Y brace at the rear. Very good. Have you a background in structural design? Why was the Middy triangulation impractical? I'm getting involved in a real racing car project and would be very interested to know why you rejected that chassis design!

If you check my posts regarding finite element analysis of the Locost chassis I suggest a double Y brace for the Locost engine bay.

JonBowden

posted on 5/2/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
cymtriks

Thanks - its a design I made about twenty years ago to help avoid studying for computer science exams.
I have always liked machines and structures.

The double Y brace was just the only way I could make space for the engine.

The design relies heavily on the full triangulation of the 'boxes' at the front and rear.
The problems are :
1. the engine and gearbox have to go through the front triangulation of the rear box.
2. the drive shafts must pass through the side triangulations of the rear box.

The first problem could be partially solved by using a 'Lotus bulkhead' as on Lotus 18, 23 and probably many others.
I'm sure the second could also be overcome

I haven't rejected the design but after about twenty years, I still don't have space to build it.

I have read your posts with great interest. You inspired me to get a copy of Grape but I still haven't figured out how to work it.

Jon

Pseudo7

posted on 8/2/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I made two 1:8 scale models; one "Book" version and the one pictured below (+3+2).

I used 1/8 x 1/8 "stick" balsa for the 1 x 1 RHS, 3/32 x 3/32 for the 3/4 x 3/4 RHS tubes. The roll bar is modeled using 3/16 dia alum (solid), the boot's top and bottom tubes were modeled using 3/32 dia alum (solid). All materials were purchased from a hobby shop.

I drew a complete set of plans for each tube and major assy in 1:8 scale, then cut/bent/and built the chassis on top of the plans (using traditional "stick & tissue" model airplane methods). Super Glue was used to bond the balsa and JB Weld was used to bond the roll bar tubes together.

Note that I took the center section out of tube Q to provide more room to move the 3.4L 60 deg Chevy V6 eng aft (better wt distribution and additional distributor clearance)...raised the boot's top tube 1" (w/a 1x1 rhs "spacer" that also stiffens the shock attach plate's outside edge), this is to provide ~1.75" of body panel showing above the rear wings. The +2" of chassis height is from tube B2 fwd. The extra 2" provides more room for the V6. A side benefit of keeping the height at the book level aft of B2 is that I can slope tubes N1/N2 down achieving a more traditional Lotus 7 look!

[Edited on 10/2/05 by Pseudo7]

Pseudo7...similar, but not authentic!

Pseudo7

posted on 8/2/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
...here's the pic (I hope!)
Pseudo7

posted on 8/2/05 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
...another pic on the rear:
Pseudo7

posted on 8/2/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
....and one more:
Pseudo7

posted on 8/2/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
..ah, hell, one more!
sgraber

posted on 9/2/05 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have to throw in my .000002 cents here.

I think the brass and metal tubing is great for studying the layout of the tubes, but if you want to do some useful analysis of the rigidity of your structure (without the benefit of really smart and well connected people in with access to FEA) you will want to use balsa. I believe Caroll Smith and Alan Stanisforth both advocate the use of balsa models.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.