Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you bend the rear sections?
want2race

posted on 20/2/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
How do you bend the rear sections?

The little piece of round tube that goes on the bottoms and the top loop sections.

I bought a $100 pipe bender that crushed the hell out of it.

I bought a $50 conduit bender and its not a clean bend.

Whats everyone doing to bend it ? Its really getting on my nerves!

Cheers
~Jonathan

chrisf

posted on 20/2/05 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I too used a conduit bender without drama. The bender required 7/8" tube, which is what I used. If you use larger or smaller tube, you'll get a strange result.

I bent mine in one long swoop. Speaking on the upper tube here: you can use two 90 degree bends and weld them to the straight section.

Really though, you userstand that the aluminum or GRP will cover any neck-downs/crinckles, right?

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisf

posted on 20/2/05 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Also, no need to get frustrated with it... Return the $100 tool and rent a conduit bender at the Home Depot.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
niceperson709

posted on 20/2/05 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I found a couple of "bauhaus cchairs at my local tip which had the right radius bends and cut and shut them to suit worked ot perfect .
best wishes
Iain Rescued attachment bends.JPG
Rescued attachment bends.JPG

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

MikeRJ

posted on 20/2/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Very clever solution, looks great!
clbarclay

posted on 20/2/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I made 2 jigs, one from wood, the round sander in pic mounts in electric drill and is excelant for shaping the wood.
The other is made from scrap metal.

Both require G-clamps for effective operation.

Making your own jigs mean that the corners can be any radious you chose. Rescued attachment Locost build.jpg
Rescued attachment Locost build.jpg

clbarclay

posted on 20/2/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Having just seen the size my photo how do you make attached pictures smaller?
Chris_R

posted on 20/2/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Photoshop or similar. There's not an inbuilt facility.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

want2race

posted on 20/2/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by niceperson709
I found a couple of "bauhaus cchairs at my local tip which had the right radius bends and cut and shut them to suit worked ot perfect .
best wishes
Iain

I dont understand.. What is that ?

clbarclay

posted on 20/2/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Any chair with tubular metal legs could do. If you have a tip, rubbish dump, etc. that has old furniture on it check it out.

Remember that the top peice can be made from two seperate parts. I deliberatly bent 2 seperate tubes then cut them to leng and inserted the thread from an old bolt into the tubes to make the middle join stronger.

200mph

posted on 20/2/05 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
Any chair with tubular metal legs could do. If you have a tip, rubbish dump, etc. that has old furniture on it check it out.

yup thats what I did, very quick and looks great.

Mark

blueshift

posted on 21/2/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I gave the local wrought ironwork guy £20 to bend them in his tube bender. Plus he knows what he's doing.. bonus.
niceperson709

posted on 21/2/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
With regaurd to the question "what is a Bahaus Chair" It is achair designed by som clever germans which was bent from one continious piece if tube with 90 degree bends , any way the point i was trying to make is that it is not always necessary to make every thing if you can spot somthing that can be adapted to do the job I was hoeifie dto see that someone had spent 100 gbp for a tool to make a couple of bends my solution cost nothing , Keep your eyes open and your imagination running free
best wishes
Iain

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

DEAN C.

posted on 28/2/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be a boring git, Bauhaus was I believe the German design college or school .
Also an excellent new wave/punk group from mid 80's featuring Pete Murphy singing songs like Bella Lugosi's dead,now that is SAD.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

NS Dev

posted on 1/3/05 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my chassis so can't comment directly, but I have made several anti roll bars with similar bends and have had a good degree of success using a similar technique to that mentioned in "the book" i.e. heating with a blowlamp to dull red and just bendign a bit at a time in a vice!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.