Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: locost chassis with doors????
fibreglass expert

posted on 18/7/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
locost chassis with doors????

I am beginning to build and I need help.
Where I live climate is not very nice (snow, rain and wind), so I thought to add doors and fibreglass roof to my Locost.Does anyone know where I can find plans for chassis like that? –Sort of Stylus or similar??
Thanks

[Edited on 18/7/05 by fibreglass expert]

[Edited on 19/7/05 by fibreglass expert]

MikeRJ

posted on 19/7/05 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
The majority of the Locosts strength is in the sides, so you'd have to do some major re-designs to make the chassis strong enough with a door.

I guess integrating a roll cage into the chassis design that also supports doors, windscreen and roof etc would be a start. I'v not seen a 7 like that however,

akumabito

posted on 19/7/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe they don't need to be real doors?

There are plenty of cars around that have a softtop with matching "doors", you know, those flappy things.

My Locost in profile
My Locost in profile

If you'd have a hardtop, you could make similar shaped half-length doors.. to make it easier to get into the car, paert of the roof could be attached to the door, as with the GT40 racecars..

[Edited on 19/7/05 by akumabito]

rusiq

posted on 24/7/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
See these:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19845

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=21900

http://www.michelinchallengedesign.com/Photo%20Gallery/2005%20Gallery/2005_gallery_2.htm Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg
Rescued attachment hardtop.jpg

JoelP

posted on 24/7/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
likewise, the AGM WLR has a hard top option.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

fibreglass expert

posted on 25/7/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
D

I thought to lower N1 and N2 and than to ad one more “wing” tube on each side parallel to N1, N2.Something similar to solution used in Mercedes Benz chassis (Guldwing era).
Unfortunately for some reason I can’t attach pic’s .I don’t know much about car mechanics and I will try to stay as much as I can “by the book” when it’s up to chassis, although I don’t like the shape of the rear end, it’s to box-y for my taste.
I want to use car as everyday wheels at all weather conditions, and because I live in central area and car is going to be parked on the street I need detachable hard roof –I am afraid that late at night, drunken kid’s can vandalise interior. AGM WLR looks nice but somehow it is not proportional. Also I believe that getting into and out of Locost must be very physical -because very often I need car for short drive 5-10 minutes it would be funny if I drive 5 minutes and than I need 5 minutes to get out of car?? Therefore, I thought to make driver seat higher, like normal roadsters –and that roof is going to be about 120 cm (around 48 “) high from road level.
I will try to build criss-cross between TVR TUSCAN and one drawing of car that I find on web. Hope that I’ll manage to attach pictures. Rescued attachment locost clone_2.jpg
Rescued attachment locost clone_2.jpg

fibreglass expert

posted on 25/7/05 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I posted pictures of body finally.That is the body I want to fit on Locost McSorley 7+442 chassis.
fibreglass expert

posted on 25/7/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes SLR space chassis that I mean to incorporate in Locost chassis , at least side bars. Rescued attachment spacef.gif
Rescued attachment spacef.gif

scotty g

posted on 26/7/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with MykeRJ, any strength that you might lose by lowering the side panels you can replace by fitting a permanent roll cage, If you made one in a "t-bar" style like the 5EXI from Marlin you would be able to hang a pair of gull wing doors from the cetre line bar. It could look very good.
Schrodinger

posted on 26/7/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have attached a photo of my Tiger Cat with the door that I have made to go on it. I hope to be making a hard top in a similar style in the autumn Rescued attachment DSCF0036.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0036.JPG

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.