How much is needed?

Hi, I am considering buying an MK Indy Locost kit and for £995 you get:

Chassis with suspension brackets
Front/rear upper and lower wishbones
front hubs
rear hub uprights
suspension polybushes
fibreglass nosecone, scuttle, front and rear wings
steering rack (modified on exchange basis)

I have an 1800CC sierra donor car that is complete but I am having difficulty in finding out what the build will cost in total (for materials) because no-one will tell me everything I need. Obviously I need lights, bonnet etc but how much does it costs for a things like a pedal box, fuel/brake pipes, wiring etc? Thanks for your help.

TFW

interestedparty

posted on 25/5/02 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car building can be done in two ways.
Easy way, buy everything brand new and bolt it together. Harder way, scour junkyards and autojumbles and haggle. The second way is loads cheaper than the first but takes much longer. Sometimes it can be easier and quicker to work at whatever you are good at and use the money to buy the bits you need. All the above is pretty obvious, I expect you already knew it.
I don't think you will get a straight answer to your question because everyone you ask will have a different answer. The first kit I ever made, (a Dutton, about 20 years ago) I stopped counting the pennies spent after a while, as long as I could afford it I bought it, if I couldn't afford it I found a way around it. Building a kit will take probably longer than you anticipate, and financial circumstances can change quite a bit in that time, sometimes they even get better. If you can afford the buying in price then I suggest you go for it, then come back in a year's time and tell us how much it cost you.
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

DEAN C.

posted on 8/6/02 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
How long is a piece of string?

I have done a spread sheet on excel for my MK indy build and have costed every penny.
My build has cost around £4000 using a Toyota engine and box,but using these has accounted for at least £1000 to the total.
The problem is how you approach the build and what you really want to end up with.
ie. If you want to use the best We****eld seats at around £500 or are you happy with a pair of Bedford Rascal seats for £30 from your local scrapyard.Every item is the same there are different options for every part that you need.
As a rough guide I would say that you could build a good quality MK using Ford running gear throughout for under £3000 but the budget is your choice as mentioned before.
PS. Forget the budget! Get stuck in and do a bit at a time as you can afford,you will be surprised how much you can scrape up in a year or so when you need to.
Dean c.

DEAN C.

posted on 9/6/02 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell!I've just realised if my wife sees my last posting i've had it.It was £400 I said i've spent wasn't it,back me up someone please!
merlin

posted on 9/6/02 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
my wife still thinks it amazing that i've 'built my own sports car for £250'!! . Just keep showing her the book cover!!(and hide the receipts well!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 9/6/02 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
my wife ditto,
untill she saw "the book" with another "0" on the end, then the questions and then the lying!!
and she wont go in the car coz it mess's up her hair (and its a xflow) exhaust on her side ha ha ha ha

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.