Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll Bar height
bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Bar height

how high does the roll bar behind your head come up from the top of the rear suspension mount plates....

I've found a tube bender who's half the price of a roll bar... but i got to give him a drawing..

On and On the River flows... We the Undertow

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
It appears that the manufacturers don't all do it a regulated height.

The pinnacle of this difference shown mostly in the fact that MNR measure people for their roll bars so that they are specifically safe.

Take Agriv8's roll bar for instance - some say it seems a tad high, but he know it was made to measure and therefore most safe.

I am happy to measure mine for you, and as we are (IIRC) roughly about the same height I would think you would be able to gauge whether this was suitable for you or not!

cheers,
Steve

Oulton small
Oulton small

[Edited on 23/5/07 by worX]

kb58

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Think of it this way. Imagine being belted into your car, and having the car suspended 3 meters above the ground - upside down. Now let the car drop with you in it. Will your head hit the ground? If the answer's yes, the bar's too low.

For starters, draw a line from the front nosecone to the top of your helmet. Now extend this line back further until it crosses where your roll-bar will go. That's the minimum height. You will need it taller than this to account for the nose getting crunched down, and for you rising up out of the seat in a rolling accident.

[Edited on 5/23/07 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
You're a gent...

Thanks....

Agriv8

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
It appears that the manufacturers don't all do it a regulated height.

The pinnacle of this difference shown mostly in the fact that MNR measure people for their roll bars so that they are specifically safe.

Take Agriv8's roll bar for instance - some say it seems a tad high, but he know it was made to measure and therefore most safe.

I am happy to measure mine for you, and as we are (IIRC) roughly about the same height I would think you would be able to gauge whether this was suitable for you or not!

cheers,
Steve

Thank you sir you put that in the most polite way possible.

Most people just laugh and go 'that looks stupid' ( I hope they are pointing to the roll bar and not me ) but I am happy in the knowledge that my head is out of the way ( taking into account the contact points ( roll bar / engine ) if it does go over.

<--------------

ps thats me in my MNR with the Supper lanky Size roll hoop.

yust a point while I am posting - I am sure you realise that you get what you pay for - what material is he making it out of ?

Kind Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nice.... happy thoughts...

quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Think of it this way. Imagine being belted into your car, and having the car suspended 3 meters above the ground - upside down. Now let the car drop with you in it. Will your head hit the ground? If the answer's yes, the bar's too low.

For starters, draw a line from the front nosecone to the top of your helmet. Now extend this line back further until it crosses where your roll-bar will go. That's the minimum height. You will need it taller than this to account for the nose getting crunched down, and for you rising up out of the seat in a rolling accident.

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
75mm x 2mm CDS... main hoop..

50mm x2mm CDS diag / back struts/ front strut

<--------------

yust a point while I am posting - I am sure you realise that you get what you pay for - what material is he making it out of ?

Kind Regards

Agriv8

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
LOL
I had noticed!!!
and in your defense "most people" don't always know better!
the only difference I would of made in your case is the same "addition" that I had put into mine!
the forward diagonal:

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Thank you sir you put that in the most polite way possible.

Most people just laugh and go 'that looks stupid' ( I hope they are pointing to the roll bar and not me ) but I am happy in the knowledge that my head is out of the way ( taking into account the contact points ( roll bar / engine ) if it does go over.

<--------------

Kind Regards

Agriv8

Agriv8

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bpgoa
75mm x 2mm CDS... main hoop..

50mm x2mm CDS diag / back struts/ front strut

<--------------

Kind Regards

Agriv8

Sounds like you have found a good deal !!

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 23/5/07 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Time will tell

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
does this mean you want me to measure it Adrian?

quote:
Thanks....

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Front diagonal

Steve,

after the trip around Stonleigh are in your car... i've decided to make that bar removable... just in case i get the opurtunity to scare the sh!t out of the mother in law!!!

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes please...

you don't fancy measuring your prop shaft lenghts as well do you.... don't think i can mount my engine as far back as you have yours... but wouldn't mind doing the comparison thing...

cheers

A..

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
My front diagonal is actually removable believe it or not - I wanted it that way for the same reason you do - but every person who's been in it really likes it there!

Do you mean my prop or drive shafts? I take it since you mentioned engine position you mean Prop shaft?

If so this might be a bit tricky as I have a fully enclosed floor and don't really have a way to get to it for an accurate enough measurement!

I will have a go though!

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Roll Bar Height

It is 365mm to the bottom of the tube and 415mm to the top (which is a relief cos it's 50mm thick ).

I will try and measure the prop for you tomorrow...

Steve

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm....

just looked on your website at the pics... going to copy the way the bars go together...

don't wory about the prop shaft measurements... sounds like a mision... will ask birich.. as he's mounted the same engine as i have...

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks...

quote:
just looked on your website at the pics... going to copy the way the bars go together...

don't wory about the prop shaft measurements... sounds like a mision... will ask birich.. as he's mounted the same engine as i have...

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by worX
It is 365mm to the bottom of the tube and 415mm to the top (which is a relief cos it's 50mm thick ).

I will try and measure the prop for you tomorrow...

Steve

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't copy them exactly!

I asked Mark (of MAC#1 several times ) for the front diagonal to be placed closer to the drivers side so that when it actually run at head height it was in the middle (or actually a tad closer to the pax) but they put it in the middle of the roll bar, SO, so that it runs really close to the pax...

I also asked for it to be placed closer to the driver to make the most of the extra triangulation of the open cabin..................

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
been as you've thought about this...

given that I realy am going to directly copy the height of the bar (because yours looks and is a sensible height for me - and i'm not allowed to pick up leggy blondes) how far would you have had it offset from center towards the driver?

worX

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
just rushing out!

will post a measurement on here after the 17.45 start spiderman3!!!!!!!!

bpgoa

posted on 23/5/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
enjoy

RK

posted on 23/5/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
While we are on the subject..

What do people think of a full cage with side protection, for the road? I don't want a minor accident to turn into a fatal one, especially if I'm going to be involved.

JoelP

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
a full cage is an excellent idea tbh. I dont think upside down is going to be fun however good a plain rollbar is, far too much chance of catching a bush in the face, or worse.

The weight penalty isnt as bad as it could be if you work the cage in well as it adds good strength.

kb58

posted on 23/5/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware that slamming your head into the side-bar isn't going to be much fun. In fact, if the car slides into a dirt embankement, the side-bar might be what kills you instead of hitting the dirt. Some serious padding - if not a helmet - would be in order.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.