Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Project "Echidna"
Echidna

posted on 23/12/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Project "Echidna"

I made this thread to present the start of my Locost project which i call "Echidna". The name comes from Hellenic mythology where Echidna was the mother of the most important monsters of mythology. She had the head of a beautiful woman and the body of a wild flying snake.

It will be a BEC, most probably with a Yamaha R1 engine and i will try to keep the weight as low as possible. My first job was to build the bench. Below i have attached some pics from the build process of my bench. Now it is ready and very nice!

Big partner to this project will be my MIG machine, a Telwin Telmig 150/1 for which i am proud of!

[Edited on 23/12/07 by Echidna]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mave

posted on 23/12/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
That's a good starting point!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 23/12/07 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Great start.

I made a few bits like that to start with.

Keep up the motivation

ReMan

posted on 23/12/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Were you able to keep this project under £250?
If so I think you should publish the plans quick

Echidna

posted on 23/12/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you guys! My motivation is very high right at the moment and i hope that i will keep it there!

I had no intention to keep the project under 250 pound or under $xxx anyway. My intention is to build something as well engineered as possible for a reasonable cost. Again when i build my car it will sum up a cost a LOT LOT lower that a new Caterham or Westfield!

Cheers,
Teo

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Canada EH!

posted on 23/12/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Project Echidna

Be careful no 60's sports car builders from the Excited States are reading this. There was a V8 powered sports car built in the 60's in Colorado as memory serves called Echidna, tube steel chassis with glass fibre body, limited production.
Echidna

posted on 23/12/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
so what?
paulbeyer

posted on 23/12/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I thought an Echidna was an Aussie creature, a cross between a hedgehog and an ant eater.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Syd Bridge

posted on 23/12/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Where I come from, an 'ECHIDNA' is a spiny ant eater. Sort of like a big hedgehog.

I was always lead to believe that the abo's called them that as well. Never knew the abos were greek, though.

Merry Christmas,

Syd.

Echidna

posted on 23/12/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
There is the Echidna animal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna

and the Echidna of Hellenic mythology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna_(mythology)

http://www.loggia.com/myth/echidna.html

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/greek-mythology.php?deity=ECHIDNA

RazMan

posted on 23/12/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Awwww cute

or ....

[Edited on 23-12-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Echidna

posted on 23/12/07 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The second one obviously...
Memphis Twin

posted on 24/12/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's Ed China having a Christmas laugh
Echidna

posted on 1/1/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
And here is the bench now with the base drawing complete. I tried to give the best accuracy possible and this took quite a lot of time but it paid dividends later. My maximum "error" is about 0.5mm and if you take into account the differing pencil tip width, this is quite nothing! I post some pictures below.
Now i am wiaiting for the Evolution Rage3 to arrive in order to cut (accurately) the steel sections.

Echidna

posted on 19/1/08 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
My Rage 3 has just arrived and i have to say that this is a wonderful machine! Very robust looking and working. High quality machine for a relatively low price!
Also checked the accuracy of the cuts this machine is able to offer and wow! Just look at the pic with the tube!

[Edited on 19/1/08 by Echidna]

Echidna

posted on 23/1/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Today morning i bought the steel for the chassis and started working!
Without Rage3, it would be impossible to reach such precision! I have not yet tack welded the tubes on the bench, i just positioned them on the drawing to check the precision and "fit".

Echidna

posted on 23/1/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
All the tubes of the base of the chassis, tack welded in place

Echidna

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just completed the rather tricky face of the chassis! I cut and welded the upright tubes and placed the lond upper tubes on the chassis to have a first taste of the shape of the chassis. What do you think?

Echidna

posted on 31/1/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
It turns to look like a proper chassis!

Echidna

posted on 2/2/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my chassis so far. What do you think?

Echidna

posted on 17/2/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
This is my progress so far.
I plan to design an inboard suspension for both front and rear ends.
I am currently searching for an engine. I really like the GSX-R K5. Fantastic engine with great technical features. I don't know if i will need a dry-sump setup though!

ozzieboy

posted on 21/2/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good i wish that i took as many detailed pics, are you going to powder coat?
Echidna

posted on 21/2/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, i would like to powdercoat the chassis. What's the price for powdercoating such a big item?
ZEN

posted on 21/2/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Welds looking nice

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

Echidna

posted on 23/2/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Some progress for the rear of the chassis. I used square tubes, not round ones.
I had a bit of delay, as the disc of my Rage3 went dead. I ordered a new one, i received it yesterday and i started work.
It's quite good to think that a Rage3 disc is still alive after building about 90% of a chassis!!! Very good and durable!

[Edited on 23/2/08 by Echidna]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.