Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: new chassis design
Miks15

posted on 11/2/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
new chassis design

Just after some of your opinions realli
I did buy a locost chassis from someone but now ive had time to look a bit closer, its..well...rubbish
Not at all straight and all the welds look dodgy
Plus it didnt look like my engine was going to fit
so i decided just to make my own around my engine and have it slightly wider aswell.
So what do you think?

Image deleted by owner
Bearing in mind also there will be some round bar triangulation like on the book chassis and i couldnt be bothered to finish the trans tunnel which is why theres still a gap there
So opinions please, any possible problems in the design anyone can see?
thanks guys

iank

posted on 11/2/08 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
OK, firstly you need triangles everywhere not rectangles.

IMO the best way to get a feel for chassis design is to buy a big pile of balsa wood strips from a craft/model shop. Something around 1/16" square section is good. Then build your chassis to scale (1:16 ) using a glue gun (be careful it's hot). Then get hold of it and twist the model around the suspension pickup points. You'll soon see what makes a stiff chassis and what makes a floppy weak one.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

minitici

posted on 11/2/08 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
As above and don't put loads in the middle of tubes.

james h

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
Was this drawn in solidworks? If so you can run this progamme in it (COSMOSXpress) to show the stresses in the chassis and any twisting you might encounter when differing loads are applied at any point.

I think what you will find is that your design will need to be reinforced as ian and minitici say.

Maradona

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
keep im mind, triangles, that is the most powerful estructure. You can experiment doing your design in scale in wood, that is the best way.

cheers

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

Alan B

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by james h
Was this drawn in solidworks? If so you can run this progamme in it (COSMOSXpress) to show the stresses in the chassis and any twisting you might encounter when differing loads are applied at any point.......

How?.....I've never had any luck beyond a simple bracket..is it done as a part?..weldment?..assembly?....any good hints would be helpful..

Cheers,

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Make a balsa wood model, 1 foot long, using 5mm square sticks & white glue. You will then soon seen how it performs. Once happy with it, sheet with thin card for the panels. All these 3D stress tools are fine but still can't beat a hands on model IMP.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
cheers fo all the replys guys will go down for some balsa wood later
How can i overcoome the problem of the load in the middle of the tube?

MikeRJ

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

Triangulation is your friend!

Description
Description

iank

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

You can support it by adding another tube by from the red circle to the base of the roll hoop. making the big triangle into two smaller ones.

It is important to realise all spaceframes are a compromise and will have non-ideal forms else you'd never be able to fit engines and people in them.
Have a read of cymtrix's paper, there's lots of good design hints in it.
http://www.locost7.info/mirror/chassis.php
kitcaranalysis_V2.doc.
Also
Final Thesis B.doc
Aussie Mods

Another way to approach it is to design the suspension first, then put engines/people/fuel tanks in place. Finally create the chassis around that lot (probably iteratively changing things as you go).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 12/2/08 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
load not in middle of tubes - so what about these other tube that have a tube butting in the side, some are highlighted?

does t he principle nbot apply t ot them, and if not, why not?

Miks15

posted on 12/2/08 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Another way to approach it is to design the suspension first, then put engines/people/fuel tanks in place. Finally create the chassis around that lot (probably iteratively changing things as you go).

That is what ive tryed to do,
Ive tryed to use the same dimensions for the front suspension as the orignal book chassis, but then make the main shape slightly wider for bigger seats, and also for my engine (looked very tight in a standard chassis.
But then the rear end was trickiest and im sure it will need more strengthning but i will look at that later on.
Any other insights will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for all responses so far guys

MikeRJ

posted on 12/2/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
load not in middle of tubes - so what about these other tube that have a tube butting in the side, some are highlighted?

does t he principle nbot apply t ot them, and if not, why not?

He did mention in the first post that he hasn't put the normal triangulation in the model yet.

Miks15

posted on 12/2/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
apart from some more triangulation needed,
is there anything else anyone can point out?
would be much appreciated

Schrodinger

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
The transmission tunnel just ends but should continue forward, probably just missed out.

Keith
Aviemore

Miks15

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
haha ye i realised that, i just couldnt be bothered to finish it off since its off in two different angles, takes a little time too do and wasnt in the mood after doing the whole chassis, ill probs do it later.
britishtrident

posted on 15/2/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Triangulation isn't something you add in it is the core of what makes a framed structure stiif.
Imagine each joint between tubes as a pinned joined -- ie the welds don't have any ressistance to bending. None of the tubes should be loaded in bending only in tension or compression -- although this is more a goal than something that can be 100% achieved.

If you really need a longer wider taller chassis start with the 4-4-2 and modify it.

[Edited on 15/2/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
OK, firstly you need triangles everywhere not rectangles.

IMO the best way to get a feel for chassis design is to buy a big pile of balsa wood strips from a craft/model shop. Something around 1/16" square section is good. Then build your chassis to scale (1:16 ) using a glue gun (be careful it's hot). Then get hold of it and twist the model around the suspension pickup points. You'll soon see what makes a stiff chassis and what makes a floppy weak one.

Good advice and loads of fun !

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.