Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS
Miks15

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
IRS

Last couple of days ive started building up my chassis and made some good progress
the only bit im not too sure about doing is the rear end.
I m using the diff out of my bmw donor and am going to do a double wishbone set up but not sure how to do it.
So i was wondering if anyone had any plans/pictures of the set ups on the back of a standard chassis?
would be much appreciated as i will get to tht in a few days and wont b able to go further til i figure it out.
Thanks guys

chrisg

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The standard locost has a live axle, I belive there's a new book out that has IRS, and a forum with people building BMW based cars..

There might even be a link in my signature Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Miks15

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chris, taking a look now
Miks15

posted on 15/3/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
should the wishbones be of unequal length aswell btw?
ive seen this on most ive seen but it would be easier to do same length top and bottom?
and advantages to unequal length top and bottom?

nitram38

posted on 15/3/08 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Unequal wishbones and their mounting points will vastly affect the handling of your car.
As you corner the bones should lift on one side of the car and effectively lower on the other. In reality the body will roll and the tyre should stay in contact with the road.
You need to work out first, how far your suspension will travel in a corner and then how much camber gain (normally negative on the lifting wheel and positive on the lowering one) that you think will aid your car. My car gains about 0.25-0.5 degrees over it's working range.
I started with an end on 2D drawing of my wishbones in solidworks and I moved the upright up and down and measured the camber change.
You can also do this using cardboard templates and push pins for your pivot points.
Description
Description

[img][/img]
up
up

unequal wishbones
unequal wishbones

[Edited on 15/3/2008 by nitram38]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.