Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: engine mounts
Miks15

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
engine mounts

How have people done there engine mounts.
Im nearly at the stage of needing to fabricate this so would like a bit of guidance to amke sure i get a nice secure fit!
so has anyone got any pics of how they did theres ?
would b much appreciated
thanks all

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
dead easy, make 3mm thick plates that bolt onto the engine and also the rubber mounts. Weld a captive nut onto the rubber mount plate (the nut will end up inside the tube). Do for both sides then position engine where you want it plus about 5mm to allow for the rubber to compress. Then get some cardboard and make a tempate of the angles between the two plates. Find a bit of tube about 40-50mm diameter and about 2mm thick steel. Cut the ends of the tube to match the angles of the template. Fit both tubes and tack weld to the plates. Remove the mounts and seam weld up. Job done.

Takes about an hour to make one.

[Edited on 21/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean like this ?

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

speedyxjs

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mine:

N/S Gearbox Mount
N/S Gearbox Mount

O/S Engine Mount
O/S Engine Mount

[Edited on 21-3-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

zetec

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted the engine in the chassis with the gearbox, oil filter, alternator etc. supported all this on stands and blocks checking to see there was no contact with the chassis. Now dont laugh...then made up some patterns using modeling lite ply which is easy to cut and stick with super glue. Start by making a pattern of the plate fitted to the block, then the one at the chassis mounting rubber. then join the two together in whatever size of tube you are expecting to use, I went for 40mm square, again made from ply strips. Once you have the patterns made up and the correct dimensions they are easy to take apart and use as accurate patterns for the real ones.
I'm sure there are other ways but this worked a treat for me and as said the wood is easier to cut and form than metal and far more rigid than card.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Do you mean like this ?

yip thats what I did, super light and very strong. I made the Falcons mounts like the other pictures (as per ford cortine type) and they took about 4 times as long and were much heavier.

[Edited on 21/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 21/3/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
wow veyr impressed wityh all the quick responses!
i already have the mounts on the engine, and its the bits that i need to weld on the chassis.
I was looking for something a bit like what speedy did but will take into account all the others and have a look see what would be easiest.
Also where should i get some decent mounting rubbers from?
thanks

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/3/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
wow veyr impressed wityh all the quick responses!
i already have the mounts on the engine, and its the bits that i need to weld on the chassis.
I was looking for something a bit like what speedy did but will take into account all the others and have a look see what would be easiest.
Also where should i get some decent mounting rubbers from?
thanks

Do you mean like these.

engine mounting rubber
engine mounting rubber

Just got them from local motor factors.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

t.j.

posted on 21/3/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I use the original; see photo-archive

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Miks15

posted on 21/3/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
i would use the orginal but there 17 years old and cracked all over the place so to be safe ill get some new ones
lsdweb

posted on 21/3/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Or don't use rubber at all - picture

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.