Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: RV8 into a MK chassis
Max

posted on 26/6/02 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
RV8 into a MK chassis

Hi All,

I just spotted a note on the MK web site saying that the RV8 can be fitted into the MK Indy chassis. After speaking to them I was told that this is correct and that the chassis requires no modification, however I must use a Ford Type 9 ‘box as the Rover LT77 won’t fit the transmission tunnel.

Is this true? Has anyone tried it? And does anyone (A), know the max power and torque that the type 9 will take and (B), what the adaptation to fit the RV8 entails?

Nothing in life is ever easy…

Fatboy Dave

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Max,

I've done the V8->Type 9 conversion for my Dax Quadra. Abbey SPortscars www.v8tuner.co.uk have the bellhousing you're after burried away in their site. Not cheap at #275, but the most reliable way to do. it.

The Type 9 don't like bags of power, but it'll hang onto a V8 pumping out 135bhp. Most of them go bad through oil leaks that the owners never check/top up. If you want more power, either keep a spare box, or get a recon job. Better yet is a set of BGH Geartech gears for the case. Brian rebuilt mine to take 300bhp and added an ali top cover for a grand.

Abbey also supply all the bits you need (clutch bits are off the shelf at hellfrauds)

HTH

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

interestedparty

posted on 26/6/02 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Surely it would be easier to modify the MK tunnel to accept the standard LT77 box (and lots cheaper). Also the LT77 is capable of taking the power and torque of a tuned RV8, mine does. I guess it might fail eventually but getting them fixed is not too expensive

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

interestedparty

posted on 26/6/02 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Surely it would be easier to modify the MK tunnel to accept the standard LT77 box (and lots cheaper). Also the LT77 is capable of taking the power and torque of a tuned RV8, mine does. I guess it might fail eventually but getting them fixed is not too expensive

John

Max

posted on 27/6/02 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm,

The intended V8 has around 250BHp, sounds like the Type 9 isn’t going to take it. The reason I was interested in the MK chassis was it meant I didn’t have to mess about altering the lengths of the wishbones if I made my own chassis and used a Capri LSD. Not sure I like the idea of spending £££’s on a pre-built chassis and then start cutting it about, might be better making my own after all. Does any one know of chassis plans that are wide enough to take the RV8 but will accept Ford Sierra IRS and standard IRS chassis front wishbones?

I was giving the 2nd edition of RC’s book a quick peruse and I noticed a little note in the SVA chapter about air filters and being no higher than the bonnet line. Is this the case? If so, does it also cover the engine being no higher? My injection plenum top will be poking through the bonnet like the D@x’s, is this going to be a problem?

Fatboy Dave

posted on 27/6/02 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Absoloutely not. A hundred happy customers with SVAd cars can't be wrong. If you're paranoid about the radiusing, grind down the flutes along the top of the plenum and give it a paint.

As for air filters, that's cobblers. I have a pair of ITGs running most of the length of the bonnet that stick up a good three inches that weren't a problem (as long as they have the correct radius).

As to the type 9, if you want bought chassis, and you don't want to cut it up, then the only option is a beefed up Type 9. Having said that, there is one member of the Rush OC that runs a 330bhp Cossie through a type 9 into a capri axle without any grief. It's all down to how you treat it.

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jon Ison

posted on 27/6/02 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
said loads a times but, remember the cars we run are a fraction of the weight the gearbox's, axles are designed for, hence they are well under stressed, i can do doughnuts to my hearts content thru a bike box, you would have to be an absolute animal for years to blow a type 9 box in a 7, or unlucky....you aint got the traction, full stop.
Fatboy Dave

posted on 27/6/02 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
you aint got the traction, full stop.

I have!

On a serious note, Jon is right. G'wan fit it.....

Dave

interestedparty

posted on 27/6/02 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know of any published plans for chassis with Sierra IRS, probably because unless you got the Robin Hood route then wishbones and uprights are going to have to be fabricated, and each firm that does that does it differently.

I can't see the problem with widening the tunnel to accept the LT77 box. Surely anybody contemplating constructing a whole chassis could cope with a bit of hacksaw and welder work?

John

Fatboy Dave

posted on 27/6/02 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, but if Max wants to buy his chassis, then I see the hesitation of hacking it up just to fit a different box.

I reckon a Standard Type 9 will be fine, as long as you pick a good un in the first place.

Dave

interestedparty

posted on 27/6/02 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't suggesting he hack up the chassis, just modify it.

John

Max

posted on 28/6/02 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I see Luego are now producing a V8 chassis that will accept the LT77 box. A week ago I’d have been delighted about this but now things have been further complicated by being offered a Fireblade engine & ancillaries at a stupidly low price.

C’mon guys, help me out here: RV8 or Fireblade???

paulbeyer

posted on 28/6/02 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Simple no brainer this one.
Stick with the Mighty V8 and sell me the rice burner for a song

Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/02 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
you know my answer don't you ?

nothing wrong with either route, both make nice tunes,

but for ease of fitting, speed, n fun go bike......

what about QR couplings, swap to suit your mood,

if your not going bike, would it be possible to mail me off list the bike engine details, price, year, locality, i may need a spare if the NOS goes pear shaped

Metal Hippy™

posted on 28/6/02 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all for using a big engine (3.5 litre BMW six here), but on this occasion I have to say that if the bike engine is the right price go that route.

You listening Jon? I said go for the bike engine.

I may go and lie down...

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/02 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
i understand hippy, its not your fault, you had a taste, now you want more....
stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/6/02 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at the other thread where I worked out power to weight ratios for engine powers.

Im not building an exact seven replica, so i went for a ford colgne v6 cos i liked the idea of a six.

However, if you are gonna build a proper seven - low weight minamalist car, then its surely gotta be bike engined? You wont get as much power in a small light package anywhere else.

A couple of my mates at work have cbr600 and a suzuki 600 - and that kinda engine sound would be great in a locost.

Im gonna have a burbling V6 tho...

do you want frantic speed, or torquey toring capability?

atb

Steve

Max

posted on 1/7/02 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well the decision's been made for me, got some insurance quotes...

£500 fully comp for the Fireblade, won't quote me for the V8.

Serves me right for being 23 eh?

Bike it is!

Fatboy Dave

posted on 1/7/02 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bah, I'm 21 and have a V8 Quadra

Just don't ask how(much/how) I got the insurance :-(

Dave

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.