Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Footwell dimension changes
Jasper

posted on 7/7/02 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Footwell dimension changes

As you know I'm going the BEC route. Is there any reason not to lenghen the drivers footwell a few inches (I'm 6'2) at same time shortening the passenger as Jon has done?

And before I go fully welding the rear end of the tranny tunnel, am I gonna have to widen it to fit the Cortina diff where it joins the rear bulkhead?

Jasper

Jon Ison

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jasper,

Can't see any problem makin the footwell longer,
The rear of my tunnel is 7" wide, starts 16" in from drivers side and 17" in from pass side, the wider bit goe's forward 9" narrowing down to 6".
Since youe using cortina axle like me i found the best way do do the handbrake was to weld a small piece of angle along the top/rear of the tunnel, i drilled two holes in this to suit the cable, adjuster drivers side (slightle larger hole), using the angle to screw the adjuster nut up against, just a matter of shortening the cable then, fourtunatley i have access to the takle to do this (shorten the cable).

If i was doing the job again, and not starting with a chassis that had once housed a pinto lump i would,
build the chassis with no tunnel, mount the axle and engine then build the tunnel to suit, suppose the rear tunnel would be the same, but the front would be much smaller.

Give me a ring if you don't understand my ramblings and need a clearer pic of what i did/mean.

regards Jon.

just as a footnote, had great fun with a porch carrera today, he lost, later in the day came across a bunch of bikers, i din't stand a chance but got em back on the twisty bits, they pulled up and we had a rite good chin wag....great bunch a lads they where

locodude

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper
Don't do it, think of pearl harbour, the bridge on the river kwai and other good films. Yes we all know about their engineering expertise, their high revving bike engines with bullett proof reliability and their char siu fu yung. Please I beg you, if you must put a bike engine in there at least make it a Triumph!!!
Yours rantingly (they destroyed OUR bike industry you know!)
Chris PTM

Jon Ison

posted on 7/7/02 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Monday nights out PTM, work, see ya Wed, same time place ? now then, must go water me Bonsi tree....

Jasper

posted on 7/7/02 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Jon

Just tacked the rear and mid section, yet to make the front section, so I'll take your advice and leave the rest of it till I fit engine and axle. The handbrake I'll speak to you about another day!

Chassis coming on well, back is finished and started the full welding today. Engine arrives in the next couple of days so I can lay out the engine bay members.

Glad your having loadsa fun. Think I found the colour for my car, saw it on a beautiful 70's Opel GT in Germany last week, a rich cerese(?) pink/purple kinda colour, took a couple of photos to get a match.

PTM, we deserved to have our bike industry ruined, we were producing wee poor bikes then, and they're not a lot better now! If I had the money and know-how it would be a Ducati 998 lump, how awesome would that sound and pull!

locodude

posted on 7/7/02 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Jasp
You must take the things I say with a pinch of salt. Apart from the Jap and jerry bashing. They started the war you know!
Chris PTM

locodude

posted on 7/7/02 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Jon
No probs, looks like I'd be on my own anyhoo. Plus the weather looks shite!
See you wed, little chuf car park 7.00 pm.
Chris PTM

Jasper

posted on 8/7/02 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
PTM - Just got back from Germany, don't worry, I made sure they didn't forget they lost, and boy it was great to b watching the final there!!
Simon

posted on 8/7/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper,

If you have to use a Ducati engine, don't use the dodgy Italian wiring - not if you intend to use your car if there's a cloud in the sky:-)

ATB

Simon

Jasper

posted on 9/7/02 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
owned a couple in the past, italians certainly arent good with electric, only got to look at Alfas to see that. Only dreaming with the duc engine tho, £ for bhp they can't come close to a Jap engine.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.