Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone ever thought of galvanising there chassis?
Gremlin

posted on 11/7/02 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone ever thought of galvanising there chassis?

Any input good bad idea!
theconrodkid

posted on 11/7/02 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
bit expensive and as its done hot there is a chance of distorting the chassis
Jon Ison

posted on 11/7/02 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you have to drill a hole in all the tubes too ? or is that just BZP plating........to let cleaning acid out ?
Fatboy Dave

posted on 11/7/02 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Jon,

Certainly do. That's why it's not a good idea. Also, you can buckle it if you have welded in steel floors (once saw a Land Rover bulkhead that had been galvanised. Bugger had warped through 90 degrees).

It also adds a fair bit to the weight too....

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jon Ison

posted on 11/7/02 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
thought so, we have a fair bit of plating done at work, but its all BZP, no holes = mess. funny how my engine mounts found there way into the tank ???
Gremlin

posted on 11/7/02 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks. Best not try that then!
Alan B

posted on 12/7/02 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
funny how my engine mounts found there way into the tank ???

Yeah, don't you hate it when that happens
And when your own personal drawings somehow end up going through the machine shop and get made accidently, that's a bugger too

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
merlin

posted on 12/7/02 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
It was suggested to me by a local company specializing in restoring old classics that the best result would be to Zinc Phosphate the chassis and then powdercoat it. Quite what zinc phosphate is I have no idea but my chassis looks pretty damn good!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gremlin

posted on 14/7/02 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good but how much does the zinc and powder coat cost ruffly?
Fatboy Dave

posted on 14/7/02 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It was suggested to me by a local company specializing in restoring old classics that the best result would be to Zinc Phosphate the chassis and then powdercoat it.

Isn't that like the paint-on galvy stuff, like Galvafroid?

Waste of time if you ask me (powder coating over this stuff). Either just powder coat it, or get it scrupulously clean and use chassis black enamel like you get on wagon chassis'

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Alan B

posted on 15/7/02 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Guys,

I have worked with several powder coaters over the last 20 years, including some guys who, at the time, had the contract for TVR, and from their combined wisdom I would say that phosphating is a fairly standard pre-treatment for higher quality/more demanding powder coating work. I would expect any chassis or any outdoors components to be phosphated prior to coating and that many good coaters would not even not mention doing it, because it is such normal procedure. I think it is basically a kind of etching primer.
It certainly isn't a waste of time, and adds little extra to the cost.

Hope that clarfies things

Alan B

posted on 15/7/02 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
Guys,

I just got this off the web, if you're interested:

"What is phosphating and why do I need it?

The generic term "phosphating" is a process where an acid attacks the metal of the work piece and re-deposits a material that is a combination of the metal substrate (and other metals - like zinc) along with phosphate. This process creates a surface that is tightly adherent to the base metal, has more surface area, provides improved corrosion inhibition, and helps the powder coating stick better. It provides a good coating base so the finished part has increased usable life."

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.