Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator and intercooler to fit a MK Indy
Morty

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator and intercooler to fit a MK Indy

I'm building a MK Indy with a VAG 1.8t-20V engine. I need to find a suitable radiator and intercooler that fits in the nose cone and have enough cooling capacity. It seems to be rather difficult and I would appreciate any tip.
INDY BIRD

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Go to pace products site they do lots of them and could prob offer the advise on the size you need,

a mazda rx7 turbo intercooler should be ok size wise, rad look

like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/93-97-MAZDA-RX7-RX-7-FD3S-V-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-KIT_W0QQitemZ200304400516QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash =item200304400516&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

or if you are mounting it up high a coswort 2wd or 4wd should do the job,

4wd may need some mods as is 600mm wide same as noe cone,

pic below

good luck

INDY BIRD

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
pic Rescued attachment DSC00113.jpg
Rescued attachment DSC00113.jpg

Antnicuk

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you can run a v mount, both the i/cooler and rad will be much more efficient.

i used one of the rx7 i/c's on my last rx7 and it coped well in a v mount with 350 flyhp so would do your VAG unit without problem.

You can get creative with where you position them and you will be amazed how well they work if you can get them in a position where they have their own dedicated airflow rather than just sticking one in front of the other.

On my RX7 track car I used an I/C flat in the bottom of the nose cone and it worked really well. The air going in your nose cone wants to get out and will go down and is dragged through by the fast moving air travelling under the car.

This is how i did it on the stylus and it works a treat on the rotary which runs a lot hotter than a piston engine.

[Edited on 2-2-09 by Antnicuk]

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
There's plenty room in the front of a Indy nose cone to fit a large intercooler,here's a 200sx engine with a modified nissan pulsar GTI R intercooler fitted.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

stevec

posted on 2/2/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
You could probably use an intercooler half that size if you were not taking near 100 degree inlet air from under the bonnet.
Steve

bimbleuk

posted on 3/2/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Here's my MR2 turbo intercooler mounted in front of a Polo rad. I currently have 270BHP but that's probably about the limit on this one. The final fit has it fully shrouded with ally to maximise the flow through it.

Intercooler mounted
Intercooler mounted

[Edited on 3-2-09 by bimbleuk]

Morty

posted on 3/2/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
There's plenty room in the front of a Indy nose cone to fit a large intercooler,here's a 200sx engine with a modified nissan pulsar GTI R intercooler fitted.

I not sure if I agree on that there's plenty of room.
I have tried with a Polo radiator but I couldn't get passed it with the hoses for an intercooler.
I have tried a Mercedes radiator, but even with a 90° angled pipe on the connections it was too wide.
Lately I have been in contact with Radtec, they have a radiator/intercooler unit based on a slightly smaller Polo radiator, but the depth is to big 130mm. I need to fit it rather high otherwise it is interfering with the nose cone, which means there is no room for the intercooler hoses and for a fan.
On the orange Indy with the Nissan engine, what type of radiator is fitted and how deep is the intercooler? Any modifications to the nose cone?

Morty

posted on 5/2/09 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have been in contact today again with Radtec and it looks like we will do a special version of the radiator and intercooler. This evening I will make a mock up based on my latest ideas. If it is successful I will post a drawing of the parts. Thanks for the replies so far!
PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/2/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
The nissan engined mk above if I recall correctly also has the polo radiator fitted,although they are not that large they are very efficient,but also the polo radiators are all different sizes depending on model or year so it may be you have tried to fit one of the larger ones,I think the model you require is the mk2 radiator for the 1.3 polo.

Morty

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

just a quick follow up on my radiator/intercooler question. This is the unit I received late last week. Now I have ordered a number of hoses and aluminium pipes for next weekend.
Rad1
Rad1

Rad2
Rad2

Rad3
Rad3

Front
Front

INDY BIRD

posted on 13/3/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
looks like a nice bit of kit what was the damage on that then£???????

will it get any heat shrink to the intercooler from the rad as so close together or is this not a problem once driving only when staitionary???

nice though looks the part, done a similar thing myself as that using radtec rad but have a gap around 4" between the 2 collers just incase

good luck with the install

Morty

posted on 13/3/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
We will see if the there will be any disadvantages with having them mounted that close. I guess Radtec has done similar design on their Westfield units for Cosworth engines.
It wasn't cheap but it looks nice and hopefully it will save me some overheating issues in the future.

Toprivetguns

posted on 22/3/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Aslong at the intercooler is infront, which it is from the pictures. Heatsoak should'nt be an issue.
It will always be provided with the cool air first. Aslong you have your footdown all the time headed in a forward direction, which im sure you will... lol

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.