Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Vinyl stripes
leemarkadams

posted on 29/7/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Vinyl stripes

Hello all, as the car is stuck in the garage until I get the fuel pump sorted (hopefully that is all it is!) I was thinking of putting some vinyl stripes along the bonnet area (a la R500), so where would be the best place to get them from?

Thanks

Lee

Slater

posted on 29/7/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Your local signwriter place should be able to supply and fit if need be. My stripe was £80 in total, but it also needed a few hours work to do the compound curves round the nose.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
There are several different types. For very curved areas there is one that shrinks with the low heat of a heat gun but its best leaving those bits to the sign writer and doing the easy bits yourself. I use a silicon rubber scraper to remove air bubbles, you can use an old credit car but I found those tended to scratch the film. Don't fit them outside in the wind or on a hot sunny day or it will be a mess.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
leemarkadams

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking something like this:

Description
Description

With the stripes along the bonnet...

Lee

Blackcab

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leemarkadams
Thinking something like this:

Description
Description

With the stripes along the bonnet...

Lee

Now that looks nice !

If you do it yourself put plenty of soapy water on the bodywork - this gives you time to position the stripes etc properly, use a proper vinyl squeege with a laytex end so it doesnt scratch the stripe - most sign places are quiet at mo so you may get a good deal on having them fitted .. one last thing - make sure the vinyl they use is UV protected, some cheap vinyls will fade in no time at all exposed to the sun and in extremes can bleed in to the gelcoat or paint.

Depending where you are I may be able to reccomend someone

Good luck

ChrisW

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the machine to cut this stuff, so you're welcome to drop me a line if you need bits and bobs done.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 29/7/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
or like this......... Rescued attachment MK.JPG
Rescued attachment MK.JPG

Angus180

posted on 29/7/09 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
im wanting to put vinyl in the side of mine similar to a yelllow r1 mk indy on ph. i think ive found a place local but wondered of prices
RK

posted on 30/7/09 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
Now here here! I stole the idea fair and square from C'ham a long time ago, now everyone wants orange stripes on a white car. I am thinking strongly about the idea of black rear arches though; that looks nice.
leemarkadams

posted on 1/8/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Am about to order some stripes, ready for when the car is back up and running, so what colour, White or Black?

All opinions welcomed....

Lee

Blackcab

posted on 2/8/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Graphite / light grey - maybe ? think they would look good on a blue car

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.