Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: steering column mounting
ReMan

posted on 1/7/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
steering column mounting

Anyone got any thoughts on how the sierra columm cast mount behind the wheel is best fixed to the brackets on the chassis? MK gave me a couple of metal slugs to downsize the holes in the casting, I was thinking it may be nice to rubber mount with some suspension type bushes or should it be totally solid?
shortie

posted on 1/7/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the same problem, was just going to get some of the metal bush inserts from MK and then just put a large washer over the top to hold it in place but something a bit nicer would be good.

Rich.

ReMan

posted on 1/7/04 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
The bushes from MK were longer than the holes are deep if you know what i mean, not sure if deliberate or not but if I used them as is even with big washers then it would not secure the column.
I was thinking like Hellfires build of some rubber "top hats " and then big washers, just to soak up a little vibration?

SeaBass

posted on 2/7/04 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't need to soak up any vibration... You are effectively mounting the sleeve of the column between the bulkhead mount and the 'cast' mount as you describe it...

If your looking to remove vibration from the steering wheel then rubber couplings in the column extension are what you want. My steering downlink has no rubber in at all and you get to know exactly what is happening under the front wheels. Each to their own I suppose.

IMHO if there is movement in the column when the SVA tester yanks it you will fail.

Cheers

Hellfire

posted on 2/7/04 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
The top hats we manufactured were made from aluminium and they do the job quite nicely.

Steering column tophats
Steering column tophats

[Edited on 3-7-04 by Hellfire]

ReMan

posted on 2/7/04 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Why did Uncle Henry make those holes so big? I can`t recall anything being in them when I plundered the column?
Peteff

posted on 2/7/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
On my locost I just used a couple of big washers each side to clamp the column, that's all there was on the original.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/7/04 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Macspeedy dun this
Bushes to reduce bolt size
Bushes to reduce bolt size

ReMan

posted on 2/7/04 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Now caliper mounting!

Thanks for the help, solid metal spacers it is then, and big washers and rubber gloves instead

Need to move on now got all worried about the"right" way of lashing up brakes!

Benzine

posted on 2/7/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Talking about the steering colomn, how does the colomn connect here to the chassis? Basically i don't have anything from the donor to use.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 2/7/04 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
At last something I do know!
Your pic shows half of a worn out column bushing. There is also an outer and a big rubber grommet holder thing!
You need a column bush kit which you should get from a good motor factor or ford or MK but I think I had their last one.

Blimey fitting steering in less than a week

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/7/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
ReMan, the holes are that size to help ford with their 'manufacturers tollerances'

Benzine, does this help? Rescued attachment Column Mount.JPG
Rescued attachment Column Mount.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

marcotuinenburg

posted on 3/7/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I did it today with an M10 bolt with a big washer on it. The M10 nuts kan fit inside the big hole and the big washers hold the whole thing in place. Works perfect. I thirst thought i had to machine 2 alu bits like Helfire did bur this works also.
jcduroc

posted on 2/8/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Benzine, does this help?

Mark

What's that lovely black "think" beneath the reservoir? My Sierra column has nothing like that (just a very loose round rubber!...)

JCM

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/8/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
The rubber fits inside a suitable size hole, and the aluminiun cap presses over it to tighten everything up, your donor should have had one Rescued attachment Column Mount2.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Mount2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jcduroc

posted on 2/8/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The rubber fits inside a suitable size hole, and the aluminiun cap presses over it to tighten everything up, your donor should have had one

Thnaks Mark
I'm gonna try to find out tomorrow

JCM

ned

posted on 6/1/05 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
lolocost sells the sierra steering column bush kit and dare I say it you can't go wrong at their prices on this item. sure motor factors would sell them or be able to get hold of them too.

Ned.

ps sorry just noticed how old this thread is, was doing a search you see..

[Edited on 6/1/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.