Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis mods for wide bellhousing
SteveF

posted on 6/9/02 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis mods for wide bellhousing

Has anybody modified the transmission tunnel entrance to fit a wider than normal gearbox?

From a trial fit of the gearbox in the chassis - it looks like I would need to take out a section of the lovely curved footwell wall in order to get the gearbox back as far as I would like

I'm a bit concerned that this may weaken the chassis strength - any ideas?

zetec

posted on 8/9/02 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
What g/box are you using? I've fitted a Ford MT75 which is bigger than the type 9.
James

posted on 8/9/02 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about something like this- it's gotta be easier than making/mounting a gear lever extension and making it look good.

I was considering moving/modifying the two 'H' rails inwards to allow this. The panneling will be harder to do and obviously there's issues with fitting the pedals in but I think it's do-able!

We'll see...

Cheers,

James

SteveF

posted on 9/9/02 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
The bellhousing is about the same width as an MT75. Its 365 mm wide, and 410 mm high (235 mm above centreline). The bellhousing which is 225 mm deep tapers down to the gearbox, which is 260 mm wide. The gearshift is only 750 mm back from the face of the bellhousing - and would need an extension if the gearbox weren't moved back
DEAN C.

posted on 9/9/02 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,I've chopped mine at 45 degrees on the footwell corners.
This was to get my toyota gearbox back as far as possible for better handling.
I have found that you can leave the top and bottom box sections alone and just cut the curved panel out.then reweld the corner back in with a flat section straight across.
looks fine and you lose very little foot room in the well,although on the drivers side I only cut it out two thirds of the way up,then put a small plate in horizontal back to the original curve.
This has meant that my engine is now only two inches from the end of the footwells.
If this helps I can e-mail you a pic or have a word with me at Donnington if you are going.
If you reweld it all back up you should not lose any strength at all.
Dean...

SteveF

posted on 11/9/02 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Dean

Thanks - that sounds like just the sort of modification I was thinking of - which day are you going to Donny? - I was considering trying to get on the full track day on the Sunday. if I do - I'll be there on Saturday as well - hopefully with my 'Blue Peter' paper mache mock-up of the gearbox - to try against a few chassis. If I can't get on the full track day - I'll be there on Sunday anyway

Cheers

Steve

DEAN C.

posted on 12/9/02 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be there sunday,and I'll bring some pics.Find me helping MK ,probably in the pit area .Just ask any of the MK lads.

SteveF

posted on 16/9/02 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Dean

Sorry - didn't see your reply till today (Monday) - I went on Sunday and had a very good chat with the guys on the MK stand - and trial fitted my Blue Peter paper mache gearbox in the chassis they had. We discussed what mods. may be needed and it sounded like they could do all the work for me - without compromising the chassis strength - just narrowing the footwells a bit - downside is they have an 8-10 week orderbook.

Steve

James

posted on 16/9/02 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

This has meant that my engine is now only two inches from the end of the footwells.

Guess you won't be needing any heating in the winter then!

You feet are gonna fry!

Cheers,

James

DEAN C.

posted on 1/10/02 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just got back off holidays,so I have only just read your reply.
Sorry I missed you! Yea I have no intentions of fitting a heater,building mainly for trackdays and hillclimbs.
I've built plenty of V8 landie specials and they melt trainers for fun, so this is going to be tame heatwise.
Kep in touch! Dean ...........

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.