Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk indy inner panels stainless
Rogthebandit

posted on 13/11/11 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
mk indy inner panels stainless

Hi
i was considering using 0.7mm stainless sheets for the inner panels. it will look good and save having to protect from corrosion but this is going to add weight. has anyone else used stainless and do you have any pics? i am putting a gsxr1000 engine in through a 3.62 diff. i personally dont think its going to slow it up to much, what do you think?
cheers
Rog

Eatpies99

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Only way to tell is by making your inner pannels then weighing them

Where's this washer come from????

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 13/11/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
a bit of rough measuring and reference to this: PDF should give you an idea,
Nick DV

posted on 13/11/11 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Why not use ali panels and powdercoat them, it's a fairly cheap process?

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Pezza

posted on 13/11/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Or just not bother with interior panels.
I painted the inside of the side panels black on my Indy r1, was trying to keep the weight down.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Rogthebandit

posted on 13/11/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys

i though of using stainless as it needs little work to keep it looking good and doesnt corroad if left in the garage ect. i will compare the weight increase against ally.

Rogthebandit

posted on 5/12/11 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello

just giving an update on the panels.

i have had all the panels made from polished stainless, theres loads of them when you lay them out. the total weight is in the region of 30kg. compared to using ally panels the total weight of ally would by in the region od 10kg.

20kg saving, sounds alot and it will make a difference. i am using a GSXR1000 engine thru a 3.62 LSD diff. the power to weight ratio is approx 300brake/tonne therefore 20kg increase is a small % increase that i personnaly dont think its going to make a massive difference unless your up against an identical MK with less mass.

i am going with the stainless it looks good. when i sus out how to put pics on here then i will post some

cheers
Rog

scootz

posted on 6/12/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
The polished stainless will look very nice, but 20kg's is a hell of a weight for something that's non-essential on a BEC.

It's Evolution Baby!

Hellfire

posted on 6/12/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch the stainless and add lightness.

Phil

Rogthebandit

posted on 6/12/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
i know what your saying chaps but it looks the dogs!!

i can always remove it if its a prob for the car.

do you recon its going to make a big difference?

welderman

posted on 7/12/11 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Stainless looks good. I know I work with it. But go ally it's lighter. And if you can get some carbon then use that if possible.
20 kg is way too heavy for a bec

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

MikeCapon

posted on 7/12/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
To avoid having to make bits and then weigh them to find the weight difference, the rule of thumb is that ally is one third of the weight of steel for the same volume.

The other thing to consider is that to achieve a similar resistance to steel the ally part often needs to be physically bigger (thicker in this case) and the weight difference will obviously be less.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 7/12/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
or work it out

Steel: area (in meter square) x thickness (in mm) x 8.06 = kg
Ally: area (in meter square) x thickness (in mm) x 2.73 = kg

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

scootz

posted on 7/12/11 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
To avoid having to make bits and then weigh them to find the weight difference, the rule of thumb is that ally is one third of the weight of steel for the same volume.

The other thing to consider is that to achieve a similar resistance to steel the ally part often needs to be physically bigger (thicker in this case) and the weight difference will obviously be less.

Is there therefore a similar general rule for strength (grades depending)? I.e. would a 0.4mm stainless panel offer approximately the same strength as a 1.2mm ally panel (a third)?

It's Evolution Baby!

MikeCapon

posted on 7/12/11 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Is there therefore a similar general rule for strength (grades depending)? I.e. would a 0.4mm stainless panel offer approximately the same strength as a 1.2mm ally panel (a third)?

Hi Scootz,

Sadly not. The different grades of ally and steel are so varied that there are vast differences in the various qualities of strength, hardness, toughness etc. It's a real 'horses for courses' job and why the choice of material for a particular component is primordial.

There are also other considerations such as the fact that an alloy component will become stronger solely due to the increased thickness that the lower density permits.

mcerd1

posted on 7/12/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sadly not. The different grades of ally and steel are so varied that there are vast differences in the various qualities of strength, hardness, toughness etc. It's a real 'horses for courses' job and why the choice of material for a particular component is primordial.

There are also other considerations such as the fact that an alloy component will become stronger solely due to the increased thickness that the lower density permits.

like mike says it depends so much on the grades

but feel free to give us a shout if you need a hand with some rough calcs before you buy...

[Edited on 7/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

scootz

posted on 7/12/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers fellas!

It's Evolution Baby!

jacko

posted on 7/12/11 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to panel the inside why not use the alloy / plastic coated paneling that is used on buildings / garages
that's what i used if you get a 4x10 ft sheet it will do all the paneling
but i do have a proper engine to pull it
Jacko
Aero screen
Aero screen

[Edited on 7/12/11 by jacko]

Rogthebandit

posted on 7/12/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
fare discussion chaps and interesting but whats you opinion on the effect on the car to pull the extra weight? do ya recon 20kg will make a massive difference?
Hellfire

posted on 7/12/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
An extra 20kg probably won't make a hugely noticeable difference but it will make a difference. The whole ethos of building a BEC should (IMHO) be about keeping the vehicle as light as possible within the budget you have available. If you really want stainless steel inner panels though, then go for it...........

Phil

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/12/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure its as bad as an extra 20kg.

Using the formulae above 10kg of steel is around 5sqm.
Is you work out the mass of 5sqm at 1.4mm thick then you get to 20kg, so you are only adding 10kg.

Are you going to use steel rivets (rather than the alloy headed ones commonly used with alloy panels), just thinking about electrolytic corrosion.

More weight is bad, but shiny is nice. It will still go fast.

TAZZMAXX

posted on 7/12/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's interesting reading this and seeing someone who actually doesn't mind adding weight to a car. On the Nissan forum I'm on, there are people with big power cars (500-800bhp) who would swap the wheel nuts to titanium or alloy to save grammes in weight. They would cry to know someone added 20kg to a lightweight car. Hey, it's your project though and if you like the look of it, why not.
Rogthebandit

posted on 7/12/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the input chaps, i am going to bond and rivet the panels. i will be using stainless rivets. i have taken onboard all the comments and i may have a comprimise to save weight using some of the stainless and maybe lighter painted panels on less visable areas, a mixture of painted and shiny panels will look good. i will have a think about that some more.

i am going to try and upload some pics.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.