Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wet weather headache
OrangeJuiced

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wet weather headache

Hi. Im a new member that has an mk Indy.
I have an Indy with single rollbar (not hoops or cage) that I need to fit wet weather gear to. The wipers, screen, de-mister etc were allready fitted so I was about to purchase the kit from MK when I found a receipt for the screen. It appears it has a caterham s3 screen. Before I fork out 650 hard earnt nuggets does anyone know if the gear will fit? Hope someone can help. Thanks.

big-vee-twin

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
You should try Soft bits for Sevens, they have standard products and will also make custom ones, not far away from you - well much closer than MK. link

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

YQUSTA

posted on 17/7/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If MK still use the bow method of fixing the hood to the screen then you need to know if the top of the screen is the same.

MK used to use a robinhood screen but I don't know if they still use the same screen.

The bow I had was rubbish and even after returning it, it was no better and I am still trying to find a better solution.

you could always do away with the bow and use poppers but you will need to do a little sewing.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

OrangeJuiced

posted on 17/7/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.
Checked out the link for soft bits before but almost dismissed as didn't list full gear. I'll give them a call and go from there.
The screen I have already has a row of poppers attached so they might be able to fit to them. I'll post again when I have a solution.
Cheers again.

bi22le

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I to would consider soft bits for sevens. There stuff is very well made and can be considered wet weather gear.

It would be a damn site cheaper than £650 too!!

I would also want something more than just a set of poppers at the front. Unless the roof is well fitted you may be opened like a can of beans at 80mph.

[Edited on 17/7/12 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

kenton

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Soft bits did a great job on mine
Tried to upload pic but failed!
poppers on the screen are ok in excess of 100!

[Edited on 17/7/12 by kenton]

OrangeJuiced

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. What kind of price are we talking for soft bits for sevens?
kenton

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
viento compleated
viento compleated

Chippy

posted on 17/7/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
OR you can always make your self a nice hard top, Cheers Ray

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Not Anumber

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Love that hardtop Chippy. are the doors hinged from the screen sides ? Does the top remove in one section ?
owelly

posted on 18/7/12 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
You could make yourself a nice hard top, or one like Rays.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Love that hardtop Chippy. are the doors hinged from the screen sides ? Does the top remove in one section ?

Yes the side screens are hinged on the screen, the roof is in one piece, clips to the screen, and the back is held down by two straps around the roll bar. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Chippy

posted on 18/7/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You could make yourself a nice hard top, or one like Rays.......

Bloody cheek! Cheers Ray

whitestu

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a second hand hood and modified it to fit the Caterham screen on my Indy. It just has poppers on the front and stays on perfectly well at speed.

Stu

OrangeJuiced

posted on 19/7/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stu.
When you say you bought a second hand hood, who's hood was it? Did you just modify the brackets or was it a material modification?
Thanks.
Adrian

Also, Soft bits for sevens have not made full wet for the Indy (yet!!). They have done the half roof a few times though.

whitestu

posted on 19/7/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hi Stu.
When you say you bought a second hand hood, who's hood was it? Did you just modify the brackets or was it a material modification?
Thanks.
Adrian

It was one that had been made for a Locost. I cut it and re-sewed some new bits in to make it fit. The only bit of metal in it is a support at the rear that goes just in front of the roll bar. I cut this down to make it fit

I'll take a pic at the weekend and show you.

Stu

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.