Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: more fun with master cylinder
jabbahutt

posted on 7/8/06 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
more fun with master cylinder

help!!

Went to fit master cylinder and the reservoir prevents flush fitting of the cylinder mounting against the firewall. Looking at it side on the lip on the reservoir is approx 2mm further back than the mounting face of the cylinder. It's a Sierra cylinder with a large 22 on the side.
Any ideas?
I thought of either filing the lip on the reservoir or trying to make up an aluminum spacer to fit on the rear of the mating face of the cylinder or failing that packing out with penny washers though this seems a bit of a gash solution and I'm worried that my solutions may cause grief when it comes to SVA.
Any input greatly appreciated as it seems to be one snag after another with this part of the build

nick205

posted on 7/8/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
can you fit the resevoir on the other way around?
mad-butcher

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked on mine there should be a good 12.5mm clearance, photo is std sierra m/cylinder Rescued attachment P8070004.JPG
Rescued attachment P8070004.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 7/8/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
just been out in the garge again. My master cylinder doesn't look like the one in the photo and reversing the reservoir will not cure the problem. The problem appears to be caused by where the plate with the hole for the master cylinder is welded in place. It sits further in than the rest of the firewall and its the seam weld thats pushing the reservoir forward. It looks like I'll need to fabricate a plate from ali to sit between the master cylinder and the firewall. Any ideas if this will cause a problem with SVA?
Any comments on my solution or other ideas very welcome.

darrenga

posted on 7/8/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
had to turn mine around
James

posted on 8/8/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
just been out in the garge again. My master cylinder doesn't look like the one in the photo and reversing the reservoir will not cure the problem. The problem appears to be caused by where the plate with the hole for the master cylinder is welded in place. It sits further in than the rest of the firewall and its the seam weld thats pushing the reservoir forward. It looks like I'll need to fabricate a plate from ali to sit between the master cylinder and the firewall. Any ideas if this will cause a problem with SVA?
Any comments on my solution or other ideas very welcome.

Ali plate was exactly what I did. Wadged a load of bath sealant round it too to keep any moisture/corrosion being a problem.

Passed SVA week before last with it.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Bluemoon

posted on 8/8/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have made a 5mm ali plate...
jabbahutt

posted on 12/8/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Last night armed with an off cut from the floor ali sheet a spacer plate was made up and the master cylinder fits brilliantly.

Again many thanks for your assistance

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.