Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Final Drive
LBMEFM

posted on 8/1/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Final Drive

Hi

I am in the process of building my Indy and intend to fit a Fireblade engine (not sure which one yet, Carbs or Injection? views on this if poss please). The car will be entered in some sprints but will be used mainly for touring. Which diff shall I use - one from a 1600cc, 1800cc, or 2ltr Sierra. Is there still enough accelaration with the 2ltr installed?, or will the engine run out of revs using the 1600cc?. Once again thanks for your views.
Barry

esn163

posted on 8/1/07 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sierras have quite a few diffs to choose from these may help you know which cars to be looking out for. Think they were originally posted on here a while back (but i'm not too sure how accurate they are).

Description
Description

Description
Description

(sorry about size of pics)

IIRC the 3.38 is supposed to be a good choice for a BEC but seem quite rare to get hold of but a 3.62 is a good compromise.

HTH

Ed

[Edited on 8/1/07 by esn163]

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 8/1/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
the diff isnt tied specifically to engine size. You need to pick a ratio! Choices from one end to the other are 3.14, 3.38, 3.62 and 3.92. Any will work for you TBH. 3,92 is a bit extreme, definately no good for motorways and long circuits. 3.62 will be more manageable but annoying on long distances. 3.38 is better but harder to find, and 3.14s are like rocking horse dropping If i were you, id drop a 3.62 in unless you get lucky. 3.62 is essentially free (or a few tenners) 3.38 more like 50 or 75, and 3.14 whatever they ask.

I believe that that bottom picture is wrong, unless im mistaken then V is 3.62 and U is 3.38; i have dismantled a 3.62V, much to my dissapointment.

I remember it from AU for whichever metal it is, the precious ones!

second edit, that migth be bollox though, so get a second opinion.

[Edited on 8/1/07 by JoelP]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/1/07 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
That spec sheet looks correct to me Joel,V 3.38,U 3.62,I just bought a 2.3d sierra that had a V on the plate and it was a 3.38,it was a 1989 model.
zxrlocost

posted on 8/1/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
hi carb or injection both will float your boat

if your going for the early 893 blade engine there still very quick but dont overload the car with 17" alloys and full interior as trhis just adds weight

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JoelP

posted on 8/1/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
That spec sheet looks correct to me Joel,V 3.38,U 3.62,I just bought a 2.3d sierra that had a V on the plate and it was a 3.38,it was a 1989 model.

yup, my mistake

ReMan

posted on 9/1/07 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
3.62 for me.
Good all round and with no screen ,I run out of comfort before I run out of revs

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.