Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy, MAC1 Screen
ReMan

posted on 23/1/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy, MAC1 Screen

Just fitted MAC1 screen to the Indy at the weekend, and will be fitting a heater soon.
No Just kidding

Seriously, I fitted the screen because I was getting severe helmet lift at high speed
The screen has stopped the lift but I seem to be getting quite a high frequency buffetting now.
Is this normal?
Or any suggestions to stop it?
I was wondering about trimming the height down a bit further, or removing some of the side return?
Regards Rescued attachment sml190_9100.jpg
Rescued attachment sml190_9100.jpg

graememk

posted on 23/1/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
i would say hight is the problem, i've had mine on a "private road" at speed with no probs

graememkoct15
graememkoct15

Hellfire

posted on 23/1/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
We chopped our aeroscreen down by about 50mm IIRC. No buffetting at all until you get to about 90mph.

Phil

Indy Web Picture
Indy Web Picture

[Edited on 23-1-07 by Hellfire]

bigrich

posted on 23/1/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
i had one of these on my last car and did'nt experience any buffeting even at silly speeds.
maybe it is the hieght your sat at that puts your head in the turbulant air,i had grp seats which sit quite a lot lower than your cobras
it could also be the air swirling around the return edges and into the cockpit area

andrew-theasby

posted on 23/1/07 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Some sports cars have a fine mesh over the roll bar area, maybe this would help if you have no luck, i assume thats why they do it?

[Edited on 23/1/07 by andrew-theasby]

Humbug

posted on 24/1/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the Mac#1 screen and I find that the airflow hits my forehead (though it is constant and doesn't buffet as such)... I guess it depends on your height, the thickness of the seat and how far back the seat is (and maybe the angle of the screen). Whatever works for you. If you are thinking of cutting down the screen it might be worth making a plywood template first and gradually take more off until you get something that does the trick.

Good luck

[Edited on 24.01.2007 by Humbug]

ReMan

posted on 25/1/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I'll give it another try at tha weekend if it's not snowing and see if I can measure how high this screen kicks the wind and look to trimming it down a bit

I would agree that Cobras on runners probably sit me about 40mm higher than shell seats, mind you if they did'nt I might struggle to see over the screen

Anyone got a wind tunnel?

[Edited on 25/1/07 by ReMan]

DIY Si

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
My screen just kicks the air to my chin, so it's not a lot of use. It is however more an extension of the scuttle than an actual aero screen. I'm quite tempted to add something extra to help with this, although I'd still have to wear a helmet, as I wear glasses.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ReMan

posted on 25/1/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
My screen just kicks the air to my chin, so it's not a lot of use. It is however more an extension of the scuttle than an actual aero screen..

Nice one, I quite like the look of them, but I did'nt want to re-fit my mirrors and wondered as you have confirmed wether they would do enoughy
Cheers

DarrenW

posted on 26/1/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
No buffeting on mine with same screen. Wind doesnt hit forward head but im not the most vertical of people.

skidude88

posted on 30/1/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Colin :-

.....and you're so tall!

Early MK de-Dion CBR1000 FJ-FP.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.