Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cosworth install
smalltalk

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cosworth install

I need some help with any info on shoe horning a cosworth turbo into my cat E1.

It started the normal way pinto died, looking for replacement, cossy kit came along - gut went yes, wallet opened - heart went comon - brain went tw@t. (two days too late)

I have repeatedly shouted at it, sometimes more than once, i have even tried the trusted kick, but i cant seem to find a way to get the TB to fit within the space allowed.

If anyone knows of locations of threads, photos or other similar installs please tell me as I need photos.

All ideas greatfully received. need to get sorted or i will lose my voice - and how can I shout for more tea if that happens, the wife will be out of work. and thats just what the UK dont need right now is another person unemployed!!

thanks for the solution

nib1980

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i'm fairly sure a search on the search button will reveal some info for you, there definately someone on here with one
Hellfire

posted on 12/2/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

Try contacting 'hicost' on here, or do a search with his name in the 'username' box, or even look in his photo archive.

Phil

Here's a picture of his engine install

Cosworth Power
Cosworth Power

[Edited on 12-2-09 by Hellfire]

mcerd1

posted on 12/2/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a 2wd cossie engine ?

if so you'll have one of these (I think - I'm still at the pinto stage)

I beleve that dax cut them, rotate them 90 degrees and weld back together to get them to fit

you should ask / search through the photo's on the dax owners forum linky - there are plenty of cossie experts over there

-Robert

[Edited on 12/2/09 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 12/2/09 by mcerd1]

smalltalk

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ohh- nice picture of correct install. Mine wont be looking like that, theres not enough gaffa tape or grip ties.... But some nice links that i will look into. thanks keep them coming. My TB connection does look like the one posted and it is a 2wd lump.
smalltalk

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Too true, as said the heart ruled the mind and the wallet will take the beating but i have always had a thing for this motor and could not resist. Nostalgia, expensive nonsence.

I cant get the TB to fit, its too wide for the chasis. I have not even tried the turbo side yet..

jacko

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i think you are going to have a lot of work fitting a cosworth engine and gear box the t5 box is bigger then the type 9 ,and the engine is wide with the turbo on
some one putting a cozzy engine in a MK indy had to remake his chassis just about [ gearbox tunnel ] etc
Have a look at the MK sports car webb its on there
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smalltalk

posted on 12/2/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not fitting the t5 box, going to destroy the type 9 . the type 9 is quite stong, It should hold out for a while. i will put a 4wd manifold on that brings in the turbo a bit.
jacko

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the type9 if you use the engine to its potential it will last about 5 minutes
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smalltalk
My TB connection does look like the one posted and it is a 2wd lump.

the 4x4 inlet manifold/plenum might help a bit too, or a mod to the elbow like dax do

more pics here http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2722

smalltalk

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the link. I have thought about turning the plenum upside down, Its basically a rectangle box that has holes in the same place top and bottom, may try that tommorrow. it will put the tb facing backwards, but will lift it out of harms way. cant say if it will work though. The pics look like the dax has had a bit of body surgery to accommodate the same sort of issue.
mcerd1

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
another thing I think dax do is offset the engine slightly to one side using different mounts

if you need a stronger gearbox and don't want a T5 you could always get a BGH (but that would mean opening your wallet again )

[Edited on 13/2/09 by mcerd1]

smalltalk

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the box link, once the std box letsgo i may well invest.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.