Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tiger avon - are they any good
smart51

posted on 13/1/05 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
tiger avon - are they any good

A brochure arrived in the post today for the tiger avon. Looks very nice. What are they like in comparison to other locost kits?

The comprehensive kit plus kit A is also a reasonable price but does it include everything you need to put a car on the road or are there still other bits that you have to buy for yourself?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/1/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote

tom_loughlin

posted on 13/1/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
not all that good from what ive heard/read/seen, but im sure there are people out there who swear by them...
whatever the price in the brochure says, forget it! its the small things that you dont think of or cant see that cost the money.
Tom

Andrew Bause

posted on 13/1/05 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Are They Any Good? You Bet They Are!

I can only comment on my own experience, but my AVON comprehensive kit was delivered at the end of April 2004 and was completed in December 2004 Powered by 190Bhp Vauxhall C20xe 16Valver! The AVON was a complete joy to build and the finnished product is simply stunning IMHO. Although I replaced certain components supplied by Tiger (rear lights) this was through choice rather than need. I have found staff at Tiger to be both friendly and helpfull and would have no worries about recommending the Tiger AVON to any potencial builder. I must add that this has been my first venture in the kit-car market and should I have the chance in the future to build another it will almost certainly be a Tiger.

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

zetec

posted on 14/1/05 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
What I have learn't is that you can only really decide on what parts you want for your car when you have started building and got to know what is what. A big kit of parts sounds good but It is really only the rolling chassis and body panels that differ from car to car. Most of the other parts all come from common sources and therefore are just as easy for you to source once you have decided what suits you best.

If I was to do another build I would spend my time sourcing the rolling chassis I liked best and worry about all the other parts as I went along.

On balance there have been builders on this site building Avons and it is fair to say they seen to have more than average problems compared to MK/Leugo/GTS products. Have a good read then go and visit the different firms.

Avoneer

posted on 14/1/05 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Andrew - But I still bet one of your rear arches is 1" wider at the front than the other and the tub is un-symetrical at the back.
It's the small things that annoy me most!
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andrew Bause

posted on 14/1/05 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
AVON Bodywork symetry

Hi Pat. I agree, the rear end does have symetry issues, but in my opinion they are only obvious if you start measuring it up? it is very difficult to physically get into a possition where you can see enough of the area in question for it to be detectable with the naked eye? and on my car the differences didn't seem to impair the fittment of the body / chassis. The most dissapointing component which had to be sourced was the exhaust manifold, a Westfield component! which simply did not fit, and required seemingly hours of filing to make it fit, I was told by Westfield that this was normal!

We have been doing so much with so little for so long - Now we can do anything with nothing!

zetec

posted on 14/1/05 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thats why I prefer to source the parts from reliable firms/sources myself.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

ayoungman

posted on 14/1/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
avons

I've not built a kit before, but have restored several classic sportscars. I just bought the Avon chassis from Tiger and have been sourcing the other components myself. To me, Tiger have usually been helpful with advice when needed. Lets face it, if you want everything done, every decision made for you and every problem sorted, why are you building a kit in the first place ? Buy a cateringvan instead. You will get the automotive equivalent of a McDonalds Big Mac !

"just like that !"

Northy

posted on 14/1/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I love my Avon!

I also never bought the kit as I decided I wouldn't use half the bits. They can be built to a very high standard with a bit of effort just like any kit. If you don't put in some effort you'll end up with a dog

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 15/1/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
The reason I ask is one of cost.

Does the kit contain everything you need?

If it does then I have a clear idea of what I'm going to end up paying. I dont want too buy the kit and find that all the sundries that are needed cost the same amount again.

Also, I can't decide between the Avon and the Indy.

Avoneer

posted on 15/1/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mine and a few other are over £8k for our Avons and started with the "comprehensive" kit.
For money and quality - buy an MK...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 16/1/05 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I doubt you'd be able to build the complete car for much less than £5000 if you want it to be of a reasonable build quality. I estimate that is what mine'll cost when finished. That's using a secondhand part built Avon in the first place and decent second-hand parts where I can instead of new.
I think you'll find that most of the 'budget blasters' made by Tiger, MK, GTS, MNR etc. will cost about the same to build for the same spec car.
You can always spread the cost of the car by buying it in stages i.e. chassis and suspension first and bodywork last.
In the case of the Avon, this also useful in that you haven't got to find a home for the bulky all-in-one bodywork whilst you build the rest of the car!
I literally don't have a budget set aside for building the car but do it on a month by month basis (i.e. any overtime I work can go towards the car!)
It takes longer to build it this way, but half the fun of owning a kit is doing the build itself!

Andy.

DaveFJ

posted on 16/1/05 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree with andrew, I have bought bits as and when I can afford them and although I am now into my 20th month of the build (still not a rolling chassis) I am having fun and building it the way I want it. I think that youy will probably find better quality elsewhere but I was struck on the look of the Avon and if youy are willing to put trhe effort in and change stuff as you go along then you can overcome all this. I have seen some trully excellent Tiger builds and some really awful MKs so it really is down to you.

Budget ? - so far about £3000 but that includes a lot of tools. end cost - I estimate about £6500

Time to build? - I always say by the summer but which one? I am currently aiming for latre summer this year but it more likely be winter before it's finished.

whatever you choose - good luck and have fun

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 16/1/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tom_loughlin
not all that good from what ive heard/read/seen, but im sure there are people out there who swear by them...
Tom

Lots of people swear, usually about the misaligned steering column from what I've read.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Lightning

posted on 17/1/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I also like my car.

I bought the chassis ,wishbones and body

The chassis was fine....column aligned!

The body could have been thicker around the arches. Although it fitted ok. The arches are different but no-one notices.
Regrets? Not really,except I shouldnt have painted the chassis hammerite and should have fitted a rear bracket on the diff.

I used a bike engine and contrary to many, I recon it worked out cheaper. Including SVA just shy of £5k.

I bought the car because it is lower than the MK. The chassis is also light which is good for the bike engine.

Its generally personal choice. I did buy some bits from MK who were very helpful. Rescued attachment pics016a.jpg
Rescued attachment pics016a.jpg

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.