Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No holes in my bonnet
Jasper

posted on 9/10/02 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
No holes in my bonnet

Just laid my new bonnet on the chassis with the ZX9 in situ and it clears by about 1/2 inch, and that's with only about 20mm of sump below the bottom rail. So I'm a very happy man, now just got to fabricate myself an Ison style air filter and sump guard.

Sump guards, ali or steel ?????

So if you're going the ZX9 route get the sump chopped, it's worth not having the hole ....

ChrisW

posted on 9/10/02 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
But I like bonnets with bits of engine sticking out...?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 9/10/02 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
There's so many cheap shots to that reply I don't know where to start!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/10/02 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you've got away without the chop Jasper! I'd go for a steel sump guard if you aren't actually covering the sump, just putting in a deflector in front of it, but if its going right the way under then thick ally will be a lot lighter than a steel equivalent.
How much clearance have you got above the carb trumpets? Enough to get a filter on?

Chris

Jasper

posted on 10/10/02 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
about 15/20mmm clearance I think, enough for a home-made filter box using the original filter element, so I hopefully won't need to buy aftermarket filter and jetting kit..we'll have to see...
Macca

posted on 22/10/02 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, just bought a ZX9 motor to go in my book MK chassis and noticed your thread regarding the sump chop.Will this apply to all engines ( mine 99/00 ) and if so how much did you chop,cost and who did it. Also are you looking at any other engine mods ie baffle etc
All info gratefully received,
Cheers Col

Jasper

posted on 22/10/02 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear there's another Ninja man out there. I think your engine is the same as mine, ZX9R-C - mines 1998/9.

I got a chap called John Gamblin, uncle of Chris Gamblin, a BEC owner and list member, to chop it. Lovely job too, see the photos in my archive. As for price you'll have to speak to him direct as I was the guinea-pig, he'll be much cheaper than others I've seen quoted though. His home number is 01730 814800 evens. I've lost about 2in...

As for the baffle, Jon's has been running great without one, but I figure it can't hurt and it'll be easy to make, John's gonna get me the thin but strong aircraft grade ali and I've bought 2 gaskets for the sump.

I intend to make up my own airbox out of ali, using the existing air filter so I shouldn't have to re-jet. I'll also fit airducts into the airbox so I get the same ram-air effect as the original bike.

As for mounting, I've aligned the sump mount brackets on the same level as the bottom chassis rails, check the photos...

Macca

posted on 22/10/02 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response,I guess things will be clearer once I can check out the pics.I will apologise in advance for the bombardment of questions.
Cheers Col.

MK9R

posted on 23/10/02 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Where are the photos, i would be very interested.

What are you considerng doing for an exhaust. Cheapest option i can find is the ST system for £300. What flange are you using between the engine and prop? I am going to have a look at the new D*x one at exeter.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 23/10/02 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures will be up in the archive again once Chrisw sorts it.

Col, as many questions as you like - I've done plenty of it myself and continue to do so...

Exhaust - I bought a ST complete system off the shelf, nice work, but it's a 4into1, rather than the prefered 4-2-1, which apparently gives better performance. It's a big delivery charge so maybe pick it up at Exeter if you want one.

Prop flange from MK, £50, NOT ST as their's are £80 for the same thing. Mine then goes straight into a new UJ and slide adapter which will be welded onto the cut prop, which I'm getting done professionally locally as I don't trust myself to do it!

MK9R

posted on 23/10/02 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Is the one from the tiger B6 a 4-2-1? Anyone tried it in an MK?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.