Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife reverse 'box
StuartA

posted on 5/2/03 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife reverse 'box

Looking to fit one of these gizmos in our car. Anyone have good / bad / indifferent things to say about them?

What is the going rate for them? Seen them new for about £600 but would like to know if anyone sells them cheaper.

Jon Ison

posted on 5/2/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
personaly i would,nt fit any mechanical reverse, if i felt the need i would go electric, there as been many a disscussion on these on here and the BEC list, people have run them with no problems, but i am yet to be convinced...............

your call

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/2/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree with Jon, if you can get away with it, do without altogether (I have, its no real hassle). If you really need a reverse, go for an electric one like MKs one, or from Gordon Griffin on the Yahoo BEC list. The mech ones always leak at best, add vibration into the drive-line, and generally are not very reliable.

Chris

Jon Ison

posted on 5/2/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
and have been known to put the odd hole in the trans tunnel..............

like i said, some peolpe have run them trouble free, but IMO there not there yet..

StuartA

posted on 5/2/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. Had a chat with andyd earlier and we have decided to go without until at least post SVA. That way we can get the car on the road and see if it presents any problems. Then maybe put the reverse box in later.

Does anyone have any pics of how the MK electric box mounts. It isn't very obvious from the pic on their website. We would like an idea of options other than the Quaife so that we know what bits we might need access to post-SVA.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/2/03 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know, the MK one mounts on the Sierra diff and drives a sprocket bolted onto end of one of the driveshafts, but other than that, I'm not sure. Gordon Griffin's one drives a sprocket on the engine end of the prop, but is primarily designed for a blade engine, so might need adapting or checking for fitment if other engines are used.

Chris

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 6/2/03 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I would not recommend it, I have had many friends return the unit as they always tend to break. To be honest most of the car that use them are soo light a little push would do the job (which make me wonder why they break, mustne poor design casting). You also loose some hp with it.
Better spending the money on good brakes and suspension.
Alain

mdc124

posted on 15/2/03 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
pics in my archive and on http://www.farend.co.uk/indyblade.aspx

If you want closer or bigger pic - mail me

[Edited on 15/2/03 by mdc124]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 16/2/03 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
just to back up the theory, this was posted on the BEC list tonight....

Then, 30 miles from home the Busa started vibrating really badly.
Then clonk! Clank! Clonk! Bang! And no drive - something major has
broken in the Reverse Gearbox. Fortunately it's only done 1000 miles
and should still be under warranty...

Nuff said........

Barker

posted on 11/3/03 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a mech one from Stuart tayor chain drvien diff with inner ring and a starter motor for the drive - much lighter than full box got mine second hand - £200 I think
StuartA

posted on 11/3/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
As this subject has re-appeared thought you might like to know we decided to do without for the time being, for all the reasons mentioned so far plus the major contributing factor... cost. We have spent far too much already and the extra £600 would not go down to well. Just got to remember to avoid places where reversing is a necessity!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.