Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: y2k Blade engine: good choice?
Mave

posted on 24/3/03 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
y2k Blade engine: good choice?

I'm considering a y2k Blade engine, but wonder if it's a good choice, since it has got electronic fuel injection. Should I consider that to be an advantage, or disadvantage?
(btw, the price is really good....)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartA

posted on 24/3/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you go with this try to get all of the ancillaries and be aware of Honda's security HISS system (fitted to their newer bikes). Not exactly sure what it consists of but you have to bypass the circuitry if you don't have the actual device. Also be aware of the fact that the emissions test is stricter on post '95 engines, and you will probably need a cat. This may well be easier on injected engine than it is on carbs, so you may well be better off with that engine than, say, a '96 (like ours )

[Edited on 24/3/03 by StuartA]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/3/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
If its cheap then I'd probably go for it, the only real issues I can see is that very few people have done it, so the electronics might be a bit of a step into the unknown. I think ST have put a few injected blade engines in before, so might be worth a chat to them before commiting.
Bear in mind also that the 2000 injected blade is hardly any more powerful than a late carbed engine, and obviously is a lot more complicated with fuel injection etc, so if you can source a carbed engine for similar money, then it might be a lot less hassle further down the road.

Chris

[Edited on 24/3/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Mave

posted on 25/3/03 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know, the y2k 'Blade has 152 BHP, while the late carb. versions have 130. Right?
Also, there is a 10% increase in torque, which might be welcome.

But you're completely right about the experience "out there". Hmm, tough call.

Let me sleep on it.

Oh, by the way: it'll cost me something like 500 quid or so. (10K miles on it). Includes wiring, exhaust, injection-stuff etc. Seems like a bargain right?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 25/3/03 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Its still a bargain, but the Y2K injected blade is a 929cc engine and is still around 130-135bhp, the 2001 engine is the 954cc engine and is a different engine totally (different block castings etc), and that's the one that is around 150bhp.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 25/3/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Barker

posted on 26/3/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
if you think u might want to do ANY tuning or tweaking in future - carbed is best bet.

tweaking Injected blocks is possible just more exspensive

pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.