Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 low oil lamp
smart51

posted on 8/8/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to do the oil change early just to make sure things are OK. Here is some empirical data.

I drained 2.5 litres of oil out of a [slightly] warm engine. Haynes says that 2.7 litres should be put in when not changing the oil filter. Not too bad.

The oil lamp went out after 1.7 litres of clean oil had been put it. Many seconds later actually. whether this is time for the oil to find its way into the sump or a bit of filtering on the electronics, I don't know.

when the lamp has flashed on in the past, 0.5 litres has stopped it coming on again.

Conclusion, If the oil warning light comes on
for a few seconds but goes off again, you need another litre of oil.

The sight gauge looks the same when full, empty, part full with the car level or tipped backwards. Maybe when open, on the bike, it can be seen clearly but at the bottom of my engine bay, lit by a torch, all I can see it the reflection of the torch. Haynes says 2.7 litres and I put in 2.9 Should be OK for a bit.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/8/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
It shouldnt really look the same, on mine when the glass is clean you can clearly see a little star shaped shroud thats behind the glass when there's no oil in it even without a torch on it, but with oil in there you can only still see it if the oil is completely fresh.
It gets a bit tricky once the oil is in there as you need to convince yourself that you're looking at oil and not fresh air, hence why I never top it up over the sight glass, always have it just below the top when the engine is idling.

Coose

posted on 9/8/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'll second what Chris says - you should be able to see a star-shape in the back of the window. Don't point your torch straight at it though as you may not see it then.

But regarding the lamp - I've NEVER needed to put a litre of oil in to get the level where it should be (top of the sight glass at tickover) after the lamp has come on. Maybe 250ml or so, but that's been it! When I've checked it (running) the level has been in the lower half of the sight glass with the light on.

2.9l sounds somewhere near though....

Spin 'er off Well...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.