Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Worrying MOT emissions news
uberf1end

posted on 28/5/03 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Worrying MOT emissions news

Read this yesterday on BlatChat (Lotus 7 Club Forum):

Found out from James Whiting today about important changes to the MOT rules which I would guess effects a lot of us here.

The loophole which allows post '97 ameteur built cars fitted with post '95 engines to pass only visible smoke for MOT emissions has apparently been closed. Up until now you could stick a catalyst on for the SVA test, take it straight off again, and then in three years time not need to pass catalyst emissions for the MOT. Not any more I'm afraid...

This most effects those of us who have 'borrowed' a catalyst for the SVA, and run non-cat systems. We are going to have to get catted-up for every MOT from now on. Even those with catayst exhausts stuck at the back of their garage are going to have the hassle of fitting (and removing) once a year. I don't know how heavily modified engines will cope with the emission limits either ?

If you've not already heard about this, sorry for being the bearer of bad tidings - just thought the sooner it was common knowledge the better.

Anyone else heard this?

I have previously read the SVA related CAT rental info but have ignored it all as I didn't need it....until now.

Sorry to revisit a well trodden topic but how much does a CAT cost to buy/rent and where can I get them?

I am still having grief getting an exhaust that is quiet enough, how much quieter is a CAT'ed exhaust? I am thinking that I may as well kill two birds and all that.

kingr

posted on 28/5/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like someone talking hearsay crap to me.

Kingr

David Jenkins

posted on 28/5/03 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not necessarily - I'm sure I read recently that MOT stations will check vehicle details against those held in the DVLA database.

Not sure of the exact details (I'll go look them up!) but this rings a bell or two...

UPDATE!

try this link for more info

http://www.totalkitcar.com/tkc_article_252.shtml

David

[Edited on 28/5/03 by David Jenkins]

uberf1end

posted on 28/5/03 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
That's a relief.
andyd

posted on 28/5/03 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
And how could anyone have thought that Q wasn't cool! Look at all the cool gear he's given Bond over the years.

Andy

Wadders

posted on 28/5/03 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got wind of this a while back, but nobody seemed to know for sure if it was true, in the end i decided to play it safe and bought a closed loop lambda system complete with CAT from Tiger (£295 +vat) this may sound a lot of money, but iv'e heard figures ranging from £50 to £120 to hire the same piece of kit and then you have the hassle of adapting it to your exhaust and wiring etc. plus collecting and dropping it off at wherever you hired it from.
Iv'e welded the CAT to a standard GSXR 750 can and it is very quiet. Swapping back to a race can is as simple as undoing 4 bolts, i intend to leave the rest of the system in place ready for MOT time.

Wadders

i]Originally posted by uberf1end
Read this yesterday on BlatChat (Lotus 7 Club Forum):

Found out from James Whiting today about important changes to the MOT rules which I would guess effects a lot of us here.

The loophole which allows post '97 ameteur built cars fitted with post '95 engines to pass only visible smoke for MOT emissions has apparently been closed. Up until now you could stick a catalyst on for the SVA test, take it straight off again, and then in three years time not need to pass catalyst emissions for the MOT. Not any more I'm afraid...

This most effects those of us who have 'borrowed' a catalyst for the SVA, and run non-cat systems. We are going to have to get catted-up for every MOT from now on. Even those with catayst exhausts stuck at the back of their garage are going to have the hassle of fitting (and removing) once a year. I don't know how heavily modified engines will cope with the emission limits either ?

If you've not already heard about this, sorry for being the bearer of bad tidings - just thought the sooner it was common knowledge the better.

Anyone else heard this?

I have previously read the SVA related CAT rental info but have ignored it all as I didn't need it....until now.

Sorry to revisit a well trodden topic but how much does a CAT cost to buy/rent and where can I get them?

I am still having grief getting an exhaust that is quiet enough, how much quieter is a CAT'ed exhaust? I am thinking that I may as well kill two birds and all that.

kingr

posted on 29/5/03 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so not entirely untrue, but overly alarmist, how many cars are there that have been built with S-reg or new donors anyway, and how many of them are going to have old engines in them? Either way, I'm aiming for a Q plate anyway, so it's all good (for me).

Kingr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.