Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a zx9
kipper

posted on 27/2/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Red sky at night bloody hell the garage is on fire........
Kipper

JoelP

posted on 27/2/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
that gasket paper is crap bollox to it...

Anyone know what this pipe in the sump does, its too long now the sump is chopped. Do i just chop it shorter?

still wondering about clutch cable Rescued attachment pipe.JPG
Rescued attachment pipe.JPG

Peteff

posted on 28/2/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's a return pipe isn't it, I cut mine so it didn't kink on the sump bottom. Find a trail bike clutch cable with the same end fitting, they are longer because of the fork travel usually or you can have one made up at some bike shops.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
lovely, i chopped it off and refitted the sump. Sprocket came off after a few minutes fiddling. In the end i just wedged a 4 inch piece of square tube between the stand and a tooth, and the impact wrench eventually spun it off.

Tomorrow im ordering the barnett heavy duty springs, but not the plates yet as i feel thats a triffle adventurous! Springs sound well easy judging by the haynes description.

Am i right in thinking that i can combine the ignition switch with the stop switch, if i replace the ignition fuse that would be bypassed by the current not passing through the fuse box? Alternatively, i might just skip the whole fuse box as its getting changed quite a lot.

Cheers!

JoelP

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know what i can use for the gearshifter? its just a splined shaft out of the box at the minute. Are the splines standard, can i order a random one off fleebay? Or anyone got a spare?
Gav

posted on 2/3/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CR-RM-GEAR-LEVER-14MM-REPAIR-BLOCK_W0QQitemZ8041077204QQcategoryZ9946QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 2/3/06 by Gav]

JoelP

posted on 2/3/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
will that definately fit/work? it says weld on, id rather removable...
Gav

posted on 2/3/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
why would you want to remove it from the gear arm!

you wernt thinking of the welding it the gear shaft?

JoelP

posted on 2/3/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
lol, maybe i misread that!

cheers for the link dude, need to measure the shaft to make sure now

Gav

posted on 3/3/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
if you look at the sellers shop the also do different sizes
Peteff

posted on 3/3/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I found a GPZ500 linkage in the scrap at the bike shop and got it just for asking. It fits the ZX9 gear shaft.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 3/3/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
mine seems to have a 10mm spline, so im going to get an old kwak one off ebay cheers all.
JoelP

posted on 7/3/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
got the old one out. time to get cutting and welding! Rescued attachment engine 003.JPG
Rescued attachment engine 003.JPG

Hellfire

posted on 8/3/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just look at all that useless weight. Tut, tut, tut.

JoelP

posted on 9/3/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
you'd think, but i still nearly ran myself over trying to push it into the garage

Ready for surgery now doc

As for the engine cradle, im thinking of putting a perminant bar in on the drivers side, to bolt the gearbox end onto, then having a bolt down thing that bolts onto the two mounts on the back of the head/block, and leave off the underside one. Sound like an ok plan?

ps, the gearlever off a vtr1000 is a perfect fit.

[Edited on 9/3/06 by JoelP]

JoelP

posted on 12/3/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Well, its time to test fit the engine. Is it really a one man job? I can lift it, but my back tend to object when it comes to manouvering it - and i cant imagine how you end up with a hand free to put any bolts in. Can it be done? My crane doesnt fit inside the garage, and damned if im doing it outside in this weather!
Hellfire

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
It can be done but if you're in any doubt whatsoever, then get someone to give you a helping hand to do it. You don't want to injure your back, so be careful.

Phil

Gav

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to mount my blade engine by myself but it rests on the top tubes.

Although when i was lifting it out for the 4th time my foot slipped on some oil and my back took the full brunt of it
hurt like hell for next week...

JoelP

posted on 12/3/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
You're right phil, not a one man job fortunately got the afternoon off tomorrow, so i'll grip up my accomplices on the way home!

the first bolt hole is 2 inches lower than the top rail, directly under it, plus i think the bottom bar on the n/s will need chopping out.

[Edited on 12/3/06 by JoelP]

Peteff

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I made a cradle to support the engine before I tried to fit it in the chassis. If nothing else it would give you something to lift by holding onto the tubing. Rescued attachment cradle6.jpg
Rescued attachment cradle6.jpg

yours, Pete

Peteff

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Bolted in.

Here Rescued attachment cradle2.jpg
Rescued attachment cradle2.jpg

yours, Pete

Wadders

posted on 12/3/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice Pete, thats the principle of the ST cradle, much easier to drop into place, already attached to the motor. Although i admit to using the block and tackle, not that i'm soft or owt you understand, it's just a question of ahem... fine control when lowering.
JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
nice to see yours at a similar height to mine pete! The gearbox mounts are 2" under the top rail, i need to hang it off these, support it in place and then make the supports for the other mounts, which will be removable. Im thinking it will balance on the two by the head, so i just unbolt the gearbox end and lift out the engine with the removable frame attached. Clear as mud that?
Peteff

posted on 13/3/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I left some of the top mounts sticking up with a hole drilled through them. I can bolt the end of my hoist chain straight to them with 2 M12s.

yours, Pete

JoelP

posted on 13/3/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
what a bastard that proved to be - had to take off the oil filter to get it in.

One lesson learned, dont put the brackets directly under a bar as its a twat to get it in then! Should've moved it a few inches further and had diagonal brackets.

Reason i didnt do a full removable cradle is that its hard to get the dimensions right when its not in the car.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.