Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2003 954 Blade
pgtips

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
2003 954 Blade

Hi all.

I asked the same question on the MK Indy forum but I dint get any replys....maybe I post it on the wrong forum?

Just a quick question please.
The blade in my Indy always used to idle sweet from cold and when is warmed up. For the last few weeks I noticed that the idling is not as smooth as it used to be.......nothing major and the engine is not stalling....just the revs go up and down very very slightly but enough to notice it .
I know is not right because one thing I remember when I was buying the Indy from Charlie was......"Wow that starts and idles sooo sweet" (my last few cars was Beetles and idling is not existance with those engines )

I have changed the spark plugs with NGK iridium joblies but is still the same.

Not a major issue but if there is a problem developing will be nice to find it before gets any worse.

Cheers.

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/5/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
when was the airfilter last changed?

fuel filter?

[Edited on 5/5/09 by Dangle_kt]

matt.c

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had my indy out 2 days so far. One was sunny and warm and the car ran fine. The other was colder and overcast and the car ran like sh*te. Could just be the weather ie hot/cold days?

mark chandler

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
The idle speed is set by an external thermal thing, I do not know what to call it.

Basically its like the guts of a thermostat, when cold it levers the throttle slightly open to increase the idle, it has a little linkage to the throttle spindle.

If this is getting varying tempretures, lets say a fan cuts in and blows cold air over it the idle will shuffle around, of course it could just be on the way out.

Alternatively the linkage may just need a little lubrication incase its sticking.

A third option is something else is pulling the idle down, as the cold idle is simply based upon heat, if you turn on the lights the engine will slow down as the generator draws power from the engine.

On a car engine you have a variable air bleed the ECU monitors RPM and compenstates for load.

Regards Mark

mark chandler

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is the chap. Rescued attachment Engine_Top_700p.jpeg
Rescued attachment Engine_Top_700p.jpeg

pgtips

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone. Great help there.

I will be having closer look some time this week. Il try to find that "external thermal thing" or lubricate the linkage. The same time I am having clutch slip so there is something else to tinker with over the weekend..

if anyone else having any more helpful ideas then please share them with us.

Thanks again
Panos.

marmot0

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
wax idle unit
marmot0

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
air leak in the induction

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.