Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Busa fueling questions ?
Jon Ison

posted on 9/9/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Busa fueling questions ?

Trying to keep as locost as possible, this is the current set up.

Std busa pump, this wont pull from back of car to front so I have a pump from a carb bike at rear (my old blade set up) delivering fuel to the busa pump, this actually seems to work ok although it is pumping more than normal due to now having a return, so a question.

If I place a small restriction in the return it slows the pump down to what sounds like a reasonable rate, the odd click now and again, do you think this will work ok, engine not fired up yet but when the busa pump requires more fuel it should just take it and the pump step up a gear or with a restriction in the return wont it work, i think it should ? What have others done ?

An alternative is a new fuel rail and pump with pressure valve on rail or on return side anyhow, whats the common set up here and how muchy ?

Is it possible to drill and tap a return outlet into the stock fuel rail then use an different pump ?

whats thew alternatives, what's the cost ?

Ta.

iiyama

posted on 9/9/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Heres my set up, (although not Locost!)

Works very well and I have no fueling issues at all.

Jon Ison

posted on 9/9/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
What does it consist of ?

After market fuel rail and pump I guess ?

iiyama

posted on 9/9/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
After market everything! LOL! Pump and reg are Aeromotive, fuel rail is from Big CC. Injectors are standard at the moment.

Reg and fuel pressure sensor:-

Pump:-

Rail:-

[Edited on 9/9/09 by iiyama]

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

bob tatt

posted on 9/9/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
make sure you fit a swirl pot, as i had the engine cutting out on me at rockingham on my first track day with the busa in. amazingly i managed to cobble something together for the day out of some plumbing gear i had in the van. fitted the swirl pot the following week and it runs a dream now. im using a similar set up to you with a pacet pump lifting the fuel to the swirl pot and then feeding the standard busa pump and fuel rail then a return from the pot to the tank. not had any bother the pump was second hand when i fitted it and its done well over a thousand miles since running fast all the time and not had any bother. is that locost enough for you...
rob

mark chandler

posted on 9/9/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a low pressure pump firing up to my swirl pot, to start off with open pipe going back but this was not as successful as I expected, pump clicking away merrily, this was also very annoying, so I put a small carb jet in the return so the pump clicked slowly.

Works great for me, I can sustain full throttle without any issues.

Point to note, as the EFI pump is sourced and returns to the swirl pot any additional pressure here will raise the fuel rail pressure as the fuel rail regulator is relative to its input and exit.

Not a problem if you are mapping the car.

Regards Mark

Jon Ison

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob tatt
make sure you fit a swirl pot, as i had the engine cutting out on me at rockingham on my first track day with the busa in. amazingly i managed to cobble something together for the day out of some plumbing gear i had in the van. fitted the swirl pot the following week and it runs a dream now. im using a similar set up to you with a pacet pump lifting the fuel to the swirl pot and then feeding the standard busa pump and fuel rail then a return from the pot to the tank. not had any bother the pump was second hand when i fitted it and its done well over a thousand miles since running fast all the time and not had any bother. is that locost enough for you...
rob

How have you plumbed the return from the busa pump ? Back to swirl pot ?

Jon Ison

posted on 9/9/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Got it ? This ok ?

Description
Description

bob tatt

posted on 10/9/09 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
thats the same as mine and works a treat not had an issue with the pump running quickly....
iiyama

posted on 10/9/09 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I dont use a swirl pump, however the tank is baffled and is close to the pump.

I would also run the return back to the tank rather then the swirl.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

richard thomas

posted on 10/9/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Got it ? This ok ?

Description
Description

Exactly the same as mine - works no probs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.