Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbs to Injection Pump
grb

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs to Injection Pump

Swapping from an 893 fireblade to something newer, what's the best approach to the fuel injection pump...

Can I mount an in-tank bike pump up into the bottom of my existing alloy tank and run a single fuel feed up to the engine?

I do racing & speed events... does this risk starvation, since there'd be no float bowl keeping a supply buffer anymore?

grb.

BenB

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd keep you existing pump as a low pressure pump to go into a swirl tank then onto the HP pump and regulator....
r1_pete

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can you fabricate a swirl pot to take the in tank bike pump? Otherwise any 3 Bar + pump will do, but you'll need a regulator to keep things in check. Many bike FI systems don't have a regulator, the function is built into the pump.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
grb

posted on 22/6/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
My daily ride is an FI bike, and the pump looks like it simply bolts into the bottom of the tank, with a single fuel line (with a handy quick release) coming out...

Could such an item fit in the bottom of the car tank and avoid taking up space under the bonnet...

grb.

+ fabrication of fuel tanks / pots etc. is out of my league :-(

blue2cv

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
that was my plan eventually
matt_gsxr

posted on 22/6/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Neatest solution is a sump in the bottom of the tank with the pump bolted up into that. gsxr (early 2001-3) pumps are ideal as they incorporate a filter and regulator.

zx10_fuel_pump_sump_question
zx10_fuel_pump_sump_question

The filter is large and the regulator is at the top of the filter so might help in the low fuel condition.

If you only need enough full short events, then you could get a narrow tall tank and bolt the pump through the bottom somehow and not worry about the additional sump.

I did this with a big 1inch ring of aluminium some carefully tapped holes, a lathe (to cut a couple of slots) and a pair of O-rings.
Welding would be better, but I have not kit or skill.

Matt

grb

posted on 23/6/10 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have a sump at the bottom of my current tank which might be ideal for mounting in and providing a small pot of fuel to draw from.

I assume the fuel intake is somewhere near the base of the pump?

I also found this, worth a glance:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?fid=23&tid=114973

What are the rough dimensions of the pump you've used?

grb.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.