Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: -14 in Nottingham and I thought I would have a drive!!!
big_l

posted on 6/12/10 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
-14 in Nottingham and I thought I would have a drive!!!

had a mini works party tonight and fancied going out in the 7
I was not quite sure if I was brave or stupid !!

It was 6 miles from my house down the a46 and I'll tell you now it was an experience
But emense fun just going slow 50 mph nice and steady but really enjoyed the drive
On my birds car it says -14 I should have known when I had to de ice the garage lock !!!!!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

l0rd

posted on 7/12/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
So what did you do to de-ice it?

Don't tell me you weeeee d on it

Canada EH!

posted on 7/12/10 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
One of the insane older gentleman of racing in the 60's and 70's at Mosport once entered the Canadian Winter Rally (about 600 miles).
I saw him at about the halfway point at 1 AM at a rest stop.
He said he and the navigator were doing fine in electric heated war surplus flight suits, it was minus 20F.
The car a Mk2 Lotus 7 with a non-crossflow 1600.
By the way they did the whole rally.

Danozeman

posted on 7/12/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
LOL i was in london sunday morning and saw a bloke in a vw beach buggy on the m25. He looked bloody freezing.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

tony-devon

posted on 7/12/10 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
LOL nice one, I rode to work in minus 7 this morning, according to the guage on the bars, with windchill it was most deffo sub -15 on the bars, well it goes down to minus 15, but the guage just blacked out and went all oily looking LOL

but you know its cold when you get to a junction and feel the gloves are lightly frozen when you go to brake and pull the clutch

most mornings I pass a bloke in an MX5 soft top thing, always got the top down and hat, scarf, glasses, huge coat and gloves on, always makes me smile that does

[Edited on 7/12/10 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 7/12/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
At work not far from Lincoln its -19. Thats not a typo. -19. We have frozen trucks. They just won't start not even with a jump. I don't know what temp modern diesel freezes but it seems that no fuel is getting to them.

thunderace

posted on 7/12/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
i find when is -10 or more i have problems starting my van ,so i think you will have big problems at -19 mate im in cumbernauld in scotland and have seen -25 this year .
tony-devon

posted on 7/12/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would think that -19 is damned close

I was in Germany years ago and it was -25 outside, the people I was staying with said something about frozen fuel and oil lines for the car and the heating, so I expect that your not far off

especially if its a big exposed yard, wind chill makes a huge difference

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 7/12/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
i feel such a wuss now. Took the dog out and it was minus 7, got home and its minus 8.
dhutch

posted on 7/12/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
At work (JCB) they where having problems with new machines not starting in the yard after a night outside because the standard winter deisel is only rated down to -15 and we have seen -17 here in north staffordshire so they have moved to a colder rated fuel.

The Notts&DerbyNorth wscc meet appear to be offering free a drink to anyone driving to thursdays meet in there seven and i must say im temped to make a claim.

Daniel

Irony

posted on 7/12/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have just been through to the warehouse and they have the vans in there now with blow heaters on them (having pushed them in). Boss comes through and starts shouting about the fact that if they had moved the vehicles undercover last night we wouldn't be in the plop this morning. Must say I agree with him. hehe

dhutch

posted on 7/12/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Its the time of year im very glad to be in a design role, my housemates in development, and is spending the morning jury rigging a tempary fuel tank to a development machine that got left outside at testsite last night and has fully waxed up. Cant tow it without removing propshafts as its a hydrostatic drive machine.

Daniel

big_l

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey moses you need to some pics of all this !!!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

tul214

posted on 9/12/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Only minus 15.5 here

cold car
cold car

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Kriss

posted on 10/12/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I did a track day which started off at minus 6 or 7 at brands hatch. The sunday before the snow.

I had to put an electric heater under the sump and the oil had gone so thick (now old at all btw) that it was just not turning lol

20 mins later, one touch of the starter button for a split second and it roared into life! (R1 inj engine)

Also did very well in the cold on noise test getting 97db at 5.5k rpm without warming up!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.