Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank and supply
stevio73

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank and supply

Hi everyone, again.
Sorry to sound like a real dummy, just I've got to that stage where I need a bunch of advice on stuff I've never had to tackle before.

I'm running a zzr1100 and as such I'm about to fabricate a fuel tank. The question is, will I need a swirl pot close to the engine and a separate pump system to supply that mini reservoir or is it acceptable to gravity feed the original Kawasaki pump direct from tank? The engine is standard (ie on carbs)

Of course the question of where to place original pump comes up also, next to tank? Or somewhere next to engine? Or in between? Each has issues, if its next to tank then that's a long pressurised pipe, length of car, to potentially leak in event of collision or foreign object damage. Next to engine then that's a long "suck" for a small pump. Inbetween sounds better but I was hoping someone would share their experience.

If I went for the swirl pot idea then it would mean two pumps? One to run a feed from main tank to swirl pot with the associated feed and return pipes. Then the original Kawasaki pump taking a feed from there. All well and good, but a bit elaborate? I suppose the ground would already be done in prep for possible upgrade, etc. but I just want to get it running and on the road.....

On the impact/leak etc front. Is there a IVA requirement for fuel pumps to turn off in event of accident? And how the hell would Incorporate that system in the standard Kawasaki loom if it is?

The tank I'm proposing to make will be from aluminium sheet 1.2mm thick, approx 700 wide and 180 tall. 240 depth at the top and 270 at the bottom. this should give (if my maths is correct) approx 8.45galls. More than enough to not be at the pump every five mins.
Two baffles, a 100 diameter by 40 deep "sump" / pick up in the middle. Level sender and filler neck on o/s end. Small (3/4" vent pipe from end to filler neck just below cap to save from "blowback" when filling. And a small (3/16" vent pipe from centre of the back panel looped to just above the filler and routed down to bottom of paneling to prevent atmospheric crush when fuel is used.

Any input into something I've forgot.? (Apart from the ability to weld aluminium?)

RichardK

posted on 12/9/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
This is just my take, if you're running carbs then you don't really need a swirl pot, maybe if you're going to track it, if you are thinking of changing over to throttle bodies it maybe best to do it now.

Bike pumps apparently push fuel better so near the tank is best, however that said mines in the bay and has been good for 5 years now.

To cut the fuel pump is easy just chuck one of these on the fuel pump supply.

Land Rover &' Range Rover Remote Fuel Pump Inertia Switch, WQT100080

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 12/9/13 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't need a swirl pot but depending on the tank you use and the track your on you may find an issue with the fuel starvation.

Eg my pickup is on the left of my tank great for right hand bends but poo on left if low on fuel on a long corner.

Good thing I found with the zzr pump is when testing the engine with fuel from a petrol can if it emptied I had a few seconds before I cut out....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
renetom

posted on 12/9/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
We have an Indy R1 carbed
used this pump fitted close to the bottom of the tank, ZX9R Pump
no swirlpot , never had a problem on the road or track.

ZX9R Pump
ZX9R Pump

good luck

[Edited on 12/9/13 by renetom]

stevio73

posted on 12/9/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. I've never built a tank before so its a bit of a voyage of discovery. Getting the Ali tomorrow then watch this space for pics.

Funny how a lot of little steps and victories leed to a renewed enthusiasm. I've achieved more in the last ten weeks than the previous five years on this build.

T66

posted on 12/9/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevio73

Funny how a lot of little steps and victories leed to a renewed enthusiasm. I've achieved more in the last ten weeks than the previous five years on this build.

+1

The garage mountain we all climb, small steps at a time

stevio73

posted on 14/9/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've just found out aluminium welding isn't as easy as I thought it was.

I think if I poured molten aluminium up my arse and farted in the general direction of the fuel tank it would almost have come out with the same result!!

I would upload a picture, but I'm too embarrassed. Plus the iPhone won't let me.

T66

posted on 14/9/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevio73
I've just found out aluminium welding isn't as easy as I thought it was.

I think if I poured molten aluminium up my arse and farted in the general direction of the fuel tank it would almost have come out with the same result!!

I would upload a picture, but I'm too embarrassed. Plus the iPhone won't let me.

What even better than pigeon sh1t? We can all do that, even people who say they cannot....

Ive not tried alloy tig, but good on you for coughing it - made me laugh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.