Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 turbo - Mapped at Bailey performance
dave_424

posted on 15/8/14 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 turbo - Mapped at Bailey performance

Had my engine mapped by Dale at Bailey Performance today, a couple of small issues but all went pretty smoothly.

More info about my setup before can be seen here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=184992

Engine specs:
1mm over Wiseco 12:1 forged pistons (machined to 11.5:1) making it 923cc
Cometic head gasket
12.9 cap head bolts as head bolts torqued to 60NM
1.2mm cylinder base spacer
9.44:1 compression after cc'ing the piston and combustion chamber with base spacer
NGK CR10EK spark plugs
Brocks performance R1 clutch springs

Induction:
Volvo TD04HL-13T turbo
Landrover 90 intercooler
Rover 3.9 v8 plenum top
ZX10 throttle bodies

Fuel:
044 pump
ZX10 injectors (believed to be 440cc/min)
Texaco 97 octane super unleaded

Engine control:
Megasquirt 2
Wasted spark through a ford coilpack

Got it loaded on the trailer early this morning (BMW 330d tow vehicle, what a beast)

Then unloaded

Dale added a couple of components to my ECU for ease of tuning etc. Retarded the ignition timing to something safe if things went a bit lean when sorting out the fuel table

Once fuel was all dialled in, then he did a couple of power runs, adding in some timing each time to see how it was performing. Wheels were spinning and throwing off chunks of rubber so we removed the rear shocks and put in solid bars so we could strap it down hard.

All good and the spark map was somewhere close, we turned up the boost

I was using a pressure regulator to add pressure to the top of the wastegate, this worked but flowed so little that it was taking ages to reach higher boosts. We unplugged the wastegate vacuum lines completely to see if it was the wastegate or the regulator, this was the result. (try not to look at my extreme CV angle)

18psi+ of boost haha activated the overboost setting in megasquirt which cut all spark, as you can tell boost was coming on fast so we sorted out a controlled bleed off the bottom wastegate line and tried again which held a steady 14-15psi which is ideal.

A couple of ignition tweaks and we finished up at 225bhp and 124ft/lb of torque at 15psi, considering the bike naturally aspirated was 128bhp and 74ft/lbs of torque I would call it a success.

Couple of things learned:
1. With the increased boost, the standard crank case vent isn't good enough. So got to sort out a catch tank and add in another big vent

2. 3rd gear is toast (typical early zx9), I think the engagement dogs have rounded an it either doesn't engage at all or pops out when power is applied. Eagle eyed viewers will be able to see dale shift twice after second to do the run in 4th. Might be changing to a z1000 gearbox, anyone have any info it would be much appreciated.

3. ZX9 engines, well my set up in particular, like ignition advance. I ended up with I think 28 or 26 degrees ignition timing at full boost, and around 34-36 off boost, any less and it was sluggish and not right. This kind of ignition advance on any other engine would blow it up, my timing marks are all correct and tooth 1 offset in megasquirt is correct so who knows what is going on, but it likes it

Power comes in hard just after 6000rpm, it makes the factory torque at about 7000rpm.

[Edited on 15/8/14 by dave_424]

OliilO

posted on 15/8/14 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. I'm thinking about turboing my blade engine in the future.

Can you do quite a bit of stuff with mega squirt? I think an aftermarket ECU (like you) will offer much greater flexibility than trying to do it off a power commander.

From what you've said it'll cut ignition in the event of over boost or if it goes too lean. Is it also possible to map it to run limited boost in say 1st or 2nd to improve drivability in wet conditions (probably more relevant to a road car)?

dave_424

posted on 15/8/14 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt is so versatile, you can pretty much put it on anything. The amount of features it has for approx £300 is amazing. I would say it would be better/offer more features than a power commander for not far off the same price.

I was talking to Dale today about making a limp mode map that the ECU could switch to if a sensor picks up something going wrong. It can be done.

A megasquirt 3 will do boost by gear just like you want. Don't think it can be done (at least not easily) on megasquirt 2

I'm only 21 years old, never had any fabrication/engine/electric teaching and I've managed to do all this so it isn't really that hard.

Dave

OliilO

posted on 15/8/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, that's useful information. I might send you an email for some more information closer to winter time...

I'm fairly happy with the mechanical aspects, just need to look at the electronic side of things.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/8/14 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
Another excellent write up for Dale @ Bailey Performance. He's certainly getting a good name for himself.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

CosKev3

posted on 16/8/14 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds mint

How heavy is it?

dave_424

posted on 16/8/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Sounds mint

How heavy is it?

Heavier than it looks actually, it's all made from approx 3mm tube and box weighs around 400-500kg. Haven't been able to accurately weigh it yet.

CosKev3

posted on 17/8/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Sounds mint

How heavy is it?

Heavier than it looks actually, it's all made from approx 3mm tube and box weighs around 400-500kg. Haven't been able to accurately weigh it yet.

Ah right, thought would be lighter!

Are you going to use it for racing, or is just something to mess about in?

dave_424

posted on 17/8/14 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well I did try an old bathroom scale underneath each wheel and came out around 500kg but not exactly accurate and was off the top of the scale, I thought it would be lighter also, may well be.

Not used for racing since autograss you aren't allowed turbo bike engines, I don't know of any other racing I could do with it but I just use it on stubble fields after being combined and other avaliable fields throughout the year. It's crying out for some gravel forestry tracks though!

CosKev3

posted on 17/8/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Oh right, shame they don't allow turbocharged bike engs.

I'll keep my eyes open for u in the fields on the sides of the railway as I pass through

MikeR

posted on 17/8/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't class 10 anything goes? Can't believe they allow twin engine but not a turbo.
dave_424

posted on 17/8/14 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is what the rule book says

CLASS 10:
a) The use of either single or twin-engine installation permitted.
i. The original engine manufacturer’s engine identification numbers must remain and be legible.
b) For “Single Engine Installation”:
Minimum cubic capacity normally aspirated = 2071cc.
Minimum cubic capacity “Forced Induction” is Free.
Maximum cubic capacity is Free.
i.).The use of “Rotary” “SCAT V4” & “Millington” engine permitted.
ii). The use of “Motorbike conjoined” engine (e.g. “RPE” “Powertec” or similar V4, V6 or V8) permitted.
iii). The use of “Forced Induction” i.e. the fitting an engine with a Supercharger and/or Turbocharger is permitted on
NASA recognised “Car” engines only. iv.).The following is not permitted.
i. The use of a “Single” motorbike engine, including “Motorbike rotary” and or “Hybrid” types (e.g. engine using both
“Car” and “Motorbike” components).
ii. The use of ‘Forced Induction’ i.e. the fitting an engine with a Supercharger and/or Turbocharger on a “Single”,
“Twin” and or “Conjoined” motorbike engine.
iii. Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Injection.

States not allowing forced induction on a motorbike engine

Not really a problem for me, I don't have any interest sliding around an oval a couple of times

MikeR

posted on 17/8/14 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Wow .... I was thinking as I posted I remember a supercharged rover engine. Didn't figure they'd specifically exclude bikes. Oh well.
obr_technology

posted on 23/2/16 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

How's the turbo beast going?

Would you be able to tell me which year zx10 throttle bodies you used please?

Cheers

Olly

dave_424

posted on 24/2/16 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Going good, fields are just now starting to come available again so will be out soon with a new set of rear tyres to try and tame down some of the wheelspin.

The throttle bodies were listed as 08-10 ZX10. I couldn't find a set of throttle body to head rubbers that would work so I had to make my own in the end

Jeano

posted on 24/2/16 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
what do you think the setup cost you? be interested in doing this to my zx12

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

dave_424

posted on 24/2/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Converting from carbs to Megasquirt injection probably cost me £600-700

all of the turbo manifold, turbo, plumbing, intercooler, plenum etc. was about £200-300

Then that would have been it, if I stayed at low boost.

But I managed to get some forged pistons for cheap, used grade 12.9 allen head bolts as head studs and chose to get a second set of cylinder barrels so I could always go back to stock bore and stock pistons. That probably all cost me approx £300

For a low boost set up, adding approx 60-80bhp, converting to FI also, it could be done for £1000, but if you're already injection and only need a power commander, or already have one, then it could be done maybe for £500

obr_technology

posted on 24/2/16 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
Going good, fields are just now starting to come available again so will be out soon with a new set of rear tyres to try and tame down some of the wheelspin.

The throttle bodies were listed as 08-10 ZX10. I couldn't find a set of throttle body to head rubbers that would work so I had to make my own in the end

Thanks Dave!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.