Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suitable diff for running upside down and backwards?
sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Suitable diff for running upside down and backwards?

This is in regards to La Bala, a middy.

Having recently aquired an FJR1300 engine that's shaft driven I am in research phase and thinking about different ways of getting the power to the wheels.

Since I have very little experience with the different car differential units available, I am hoping that I might get some advice about it here.

Should I assume that a limited slip unit will not run backwards and/or upside down? Am I limited to runing an open diff?

Any suggestions for a common lightweight unit with a very short snout? I am in the USA, but I see a ton of BMW E-series diffs on ebay... Suggestions?

Mounting: Since my engine bay space is not infinite, I was thinking about making a strong cradle that holds the engine and the differential together as one solid unit. I want to eliminate the u-joint and mate the output from the bike shaft directly to the input flange of the diff. Bad Idea? Any suggestions for the shortest possible solution?

Thanks, Graber

Oh yea, I almost forgot. The Yamaha rear diff is a 3.66:1 unit. My cars tire height will be close to the bikes at 24". Should I assume that the car diff ratio should be close to this number?

[Edited on 4/11/05 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 11/4/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
You might want to check out the Legends race cars which use the FJ1200 motor to see how they get power to the back wheels. Dont know about the FJ1300 though.

Alternatively didnt some early RWD honda diffs run the wrong way?

Cheers

Jim

[Edited on 11/4/05 by jimgiblett]

chrisf

posted on 11/4/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Steve:

Why not run a chain setup? It would be easier and not much more money. You would also worry less about getting the rear ratio right because you could always change the sprocket.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I can`t see why, any diff should`nt run upside down.
Provided you stop the oil running out and fill it to the same relative height of oil over the gears, I cant see the difference?

sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Provided you stop the oil running out and fill it to the same relative height of oil over the gears, I cant see the difference?

Don't the limited slip units need to run in one specific direction because of the gears in the limited slip unit?

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisf
Steve:

Why not run a chain setup? It would be easier and not much more money. You would also worry less about getting the rear ratio right because you could always change the sprocket.

--Chris

Aloupol suggested this in the Middy forum, http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=24504&page=1#bottom the main problem with this is the rotation of the output shaft means that the engine will be on the Left hand side. That's ok for the Brits, but not USA since all the weight of the car will be all on one side and not balanced at all.

That's why I am leaning towards the car diff at the moment.

Steve Graber

ChrisGamlin

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

From what Ive heard others say that know much more about gears than me, the gears are technically designed to run properly in one direction only, and running the opposite way can put odd loadings on the bearings etc. ISTR its something to do with the meshing that is designed to pull the two gears together under load, and reversing that makes them effectively try to push themselves away from each other, but I might be way off on this.
Having said that Ive also seen many people say that in the real world most diffs cope with it fine.

Hellfire

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just give it a try. Flip the diff, plug the breather, relocate and see what happens running it upside down. If it's knackered after a few hundred miles, it might become costly. If it's knackered after a few thousand miles, treat it as a consumable and get another one. They aren't too expensive after all. You could pick one up for the same cost as one tyre. Then we'd all know once and for all whether it's a viable option or not. Go for it...............

sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not too worried about the ring and pinion. I used to be very hung up on the issue, but I'm over that. I am more interested in the effects of limited slip internals being run backwards...

Steve Graber

Aloupol

posted on 11/4/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
The most common LSD has ramp pieces, which angle gives the amount of locking effect, and they are sometimes different in accellerating and in engine brake situations. So maybe your diff will work strangely if run backwards. Need to unmount it and check the ramp angles to be sure.
About the layout I suggested: it's easy to add an intermediate axle, behind the diff, with two chains. On this axle you can put an electric motor to sort the reverse gear problem. By the way it becomes easy to place the engine in the body's centerline.
I will make a sketch because I feel that my writing is confused.

Aloupol

posted on 11/4/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hope this pic is a bit more clear.. Rescued attachment FJR1300-.JPG
Rescued attachment FJR1300-.JPG

sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
Hope this pic is a bit more clear..

Yes! This is along the lines of what I was envisioning. Chris Fiaccone drew up something similar and also suggested that the jackshaft might be replaced with a reversing box. However, an electric reverse could easily be designed and for probably a lot less money.

Placing the engine inline with the centerline of the car is an added bonus. Packaging the transmission off to one side aids in the compactness of the driveline, one needs hardly more than 24" longitudinal in front of the half-shafts! Neat.

I have to wonder how much driveline loss this setup will have? Would using 2 chains in the driveline compare favorably with a standard automotive diff?

Steve Graber

soggy

posted on 11/4/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
have you heard of a phantom grip diff its USA made it fits where the sun gears go and gives a limited slip action for half the price.search the web for info.

if at first u dont succeed use a bigger hammer!

Aloupol

posted on 11/4/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
The reverse gear: I was thinking of that too but I wonder if it's strong enough. It's designed to be driven by the gearbox torque, and the sub axle has a little bit more.
Efficiency: I don't know the exact numbers but I don't think it's a lot. If it was some cooling system should have been developed by bikes tuners ;-)
Maybe by replacing the chains by straps (like the Harley Davidson bikes) it's possible to save something.
The Phantom diff: is it the stuff I saw, using the axial reaction of the diff's gears to press clutch discs, without ramps? Is it worth? Which car uses it?
Compactness: I plan to use this kind of jack axle in my car, with a standard (transverse) bike engine, in order to minimize the wheelbase, and to have half axles of equal lenghts.
LSD: The guy who tested the R1ot said it's not that important to have one in a middy BEC, due to the good weight balance and reasonable power. I won't sell my children to buy one, if an open diff is good for that great kit car it will suit for mine.

sgraber

posted on 11/4/05 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aloupol
Compactness: I plan to use this kind of jack axle in my car

Where will you fiind your jack-shaft components? I am thinking about 1" go-kart bearings and carriers, but the hollow shafted cart axles are probably too fragile for the torque figures we are reaching. How to attach the sprockets to the shaft? I don't think a keyway will be strong enough. Can you point me in the right direction? This a likely a part that will be best made by a qualified machine shop. Maybe a halfshaft modified with splines on each end to accept standard bike sprocket?

Steve Graber

Peteff

posted on 11/4/05 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit confused.

Is the engine the wrong way round in the drawing? The drive comes off the side of the gearbox. If you've taken the shaft drive off it will it still be driving the wrong way?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

madman280

posted on 12/4/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
No problem. They are on the streets everywhere. The front diff in a small four wheel drive truck rotates backwards. If you use a clutch type limited slip you should be able to build-up what you need by using one from a rear unit of the same make and size. For example. One could use an Ford 8.8 front diff and use the LSD carrier from a 8.8 rear diff. The difference is in the gears and case. Not 100% positive what fits what in smaller sizes but this might give you a place to start looking. Now finding the right gearing may be a whole other story, but this excel spread sheet might be of some help there: http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/speedcalc.xls

[Edited on 12/4/05 by madman280]

madman280

posted on 12/4/05 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Had another thought. If you were to use a racing type quick change you can rotate them backwards since they are bevel type gears not spiral bevel like most diffs. I've seen Winters and Halibrand midget diffs used this way. If you do a bit of a web search on midget or speedway sprint cars you should find a couple sources. They make IRS type diffs as well as the live axle variety. Not usually listed in a catalog. Call and telling them what your doing. I'm sure they can offer a couple sugestions.

[Edited on 12/4/05 by madman280]

chrisf

posted on 12/4/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Aloupol:

My idea was to use an inline reverse box as the jackshaft. The whole unit could be slide fore/aft to tighten the chain.

Actually, I suggested to Steve that he use a standard size inline reverse box (scroll down), he could decide later if he wanted to go with a Quaife unit or use a standard jackshaft. Alternatively, he could put a toothed gear in the middle of the jackshaft and run an electric reverse off that. All three solutions could be designed to act interchangibly.

Moreover, using the jackshaft means an easier final gear ratio. At any rate, the chain drive seems much easier than having to flip heavy differentials. Just my ideas...

--Chris

The Shootist

posted on 12/4/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
Production LSDs are clutch or viscus

The clutch type has spring loaded clutches which will slip when a certain torque differential occur between the two wheels. This will function in either direction.

Viscus uses silicone fluid in place of the springs. When the difference in speed between the two axles heats the silicone it expands and causes the clutches to bind, locking the axles. This type will also work in either direction.

The ring and pinion gears should be fine turning backwards otherwise downshifting and engine braking would kill them on a regular basis.

Looking in my "Machinists Handbook" 1941 edition gears typically have a symetrical profile, therefore the direction of rotation is mute.

Now one thing we haven't examined is lubrication. Now I can say from personal experience that a rearend, turned on it's side, with one axle pointed straight-up, has run lightly loaded in a mill in our plant for decades. In fact we did just change it out due to a failure, but it has amassed over 2,000 hours of operational time before it failed.

I believe, firmly, that a rearend will work just fine in a small car in an upside down and running backwards orientation. The windage effect should give plenty of lubrication to the bearings.

Aloupol

posted on 12/4/05 at 05:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Where will you fiind your jack-shaft components? ... This a likely a part that will be best made by a qualified machine shop.

Yes I think so. Didn't tought at this for the moment but it doesn't seem impossible to make from scratch. Possible to weld parts (lathed flanges) on a tube or a bar, then lathe the assembly.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is the engine the wrong way round in the drawing? The drive comes off the side of the gearbox. If you've taken the shaft drive off it will it still be driving the wrong way?

It was the other way in my first drawing but I understood from what Steve said that it had to be like this. It makes sense, thinking of the configuration of the "diff" on the bike.

quote:
Originally posted by chrisf
Aloupol:
My idea was to use an inline reverse box as the jackshaft. The whole unit could be slide fore/aft to tighten the chain.
--Chris

Yes, but The only thing to check is the torque this unit can stand. It's designed to be mounted between the gearbox and the diff's reduction gear so with a smaller torque than in "our" jack axle.

quote:
Originally posted by The Shootist
The clutch type has spring loaded clutches which will slip when a certain torque differential occur between the two wheels. This will function in either direction.

As far as I know the clutch type LSD has, in addition to the spring, a jacking system that uses the motor torque to press the clutch, and these parts have different shapes for acceleration and deceleration. Maybe it's not difficult at all to switch the parts, I don't know.

[Edited on 12/4/05 by Aloupol]

Rorty

posted on 12/4/05 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, what is the estimated weight of La Bala? I doubt if the type of electric reverse Locosters are familliar with would cope with the weight of your car. If you ran a more powerful motor, then you'd be getting into power-sapping alternators and heavy duty batteries.
I would look into either a diff with a built in reverse, or possibly a canabalised transaxle to provide a mechanical reverse. Basically, what you need for a compact reverse is a set of planetry gears.
As The Shootist says, any diff will perform OK in any orientation as long as it's suitably lubricated.
With the engine orientated as in Aloupol's drawing of the Busa, an industrial reverse mechanism in line with the engine's output shaft may be worth considering. Some are made with aluminium housings which would help keep the weight down.
What about one of those reverse transaxles I posted recently? I know they're a bit pricey, but I believe it may be a cheaper solution in the long run.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

sgraber

posted on 12/4/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
La bala is fairly light. The car weighed 1,126Lbs with the 1.6l 4AGE. and that was in driveable condition, but without bodywork, windshield, etc. My finished estimate was 1,400Lbs (or around 650Kg). The new drivetrain is (est) 150Lbs lighter than the old. So at 1,250Lbs (560Kg) la bala is still heavier than the typical locost BEC, but not extremely so. FWIW - My weighing was done using 4 bathroom scales so there is probably a margin of error, but not significant to the SWAG calculations we need to do here.

Why not eliminate the jackshaft completely but still use a chain driven differential, an intermediate shaft to the longer side, and two equal length short half-shafts like the newer front wheel drive cars use to eliminate torque steer? I might be able to use the entire drive assembly from a Honda, starting from the differential outward to the hubs.

Rorty, I haven't completely discounted the mini-transaxle, but want to pursue (discuss) all other non-comercialized ideas to their logical conclusions.

Steve Graber

sgraber

posted on 12/4/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty et al,

This is what I have in mind. Just a quick sketch in Max.

Chain Driven diff render 1
Chain Driven diff render 1

Note that the red blob in the middle with the little gear is an automotive style gear reduction starter that would be a reverser unit. The large green blob in the back is the engine, the purple blocks would be the bearing blocks and the blue sticks are portions of the car frame....

I intend to take the entire half-shafts, intermediate shaft and differential from a Honda FWD transaxle since that centers the engine mass in the correct location relative to the centerline of the car.

Steve Graber

chrisf

posted on 12/4/05 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion, that is the best idea yet. But just a thought...If the driveshafts are dissimilar lengths, will they really cause torque steer? 1.) You're not steering in the rear with a deDion and 2.) you won't have that much torque.

At any rate, your idea would be the easiest to fabricate/machine and lends itself well to your deDion rear. This is something you can sort out between GRP work. Might break things up a bit.

--Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.