Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: electric/hydro shifter
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 30/1/03 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
electric/hydro shifter

Hi all,
I have ssen a few cars around with the quick shift electric hydro system which with a push of a botton changes gears for you. I wondered if anyone had moreinformation about these systems? How much they cost and how they work? Is possible to build one or use a paddle shift system with cables?
Thanks again Alain

kingr

posted on 30/1/03 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not quite sure of what you mean by electric/hydro, but one quick shift is Kliktronic which IIRC is about £600, and is used by forumla 27 (or was, don't know since they've been bought by YKC).

My eventually plan for my locost is to put a bike engine in it, with kliktronics to change gears, techtronics to blip the throttle on gear change and a rev limiter to feed the kliktronics, result - no need to change gear, just stamp on the throttle, and it'll take it to the limit before quickly changing gear, right the way up. Shouldn't be desperately heavy either.

Kingr

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 30/1/03 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
That is what I am lookig for I am using a zx9 engine and am trying to find different ways of using those parts. Ho much do you think your system would cost? What happens to the clutch?
Alain

ijohnston99

posted on 30/1/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Check out....

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/

Joost

posted on 30/1/03 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Or have a look here!

Translogic

kingr

posted on 30/1/03 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Translogic looks very nice, but it's still rather more expensive than the kliktronic/tectronic/limiter combination, and they don't seem to aim at kit cars at all, not that it should really matter, I can't imagine it's too had to remove the buttons from the handle bar mount and stick them on your steering wheel.

Looks a bit more professional too.

Kingr

alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 30/1/03 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
The former sounds cheaper so I've sent them an email. Has any one actually used them? What happens when down shifting /clutch operation.
Alain

Rorty

posted on 31/1/03 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
The kliktronic is quite heavy and basic, but does the job. I wouldn't use one again though. I prefer paddles and cables which are much simpler to install, and weigh less too. Rescued attachment Electric shifter.jpg
Rescued attachment Electric shifter.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 31/1/03 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
How does the paddle system work ? Can you buy one off the shelf or do you need to make one.
Alain

Rorty

posted on 1/2/03 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
You basically have to make the system yourself, and it's very easy to do. I've made some that attach directly to my steering "wheel". My steering (off-road) is very direct (7/8 turn, lock to lock!), so your hands never leave the "quarter-to-three" position, and the paddles are always just at the fingertips.
I have also made set-ups for conventional round wheels/rack ratios, using a ring, slightly smaller than the diameter of the steering wheel and mounted a pivot on the steering column (you could also mount it on the steering wheel boss too).
The paddles hinge on the pivot, and operate the cables, while the pivot also secures the cable sheaths.
Two cables are used, and both pull, so light weight cables made up by your local bicycle shop will suffice.
The cables can run parallel as far as the proximity of the gear lever on the bike motor, where they will need to be separated by approximately 75mm, and the outer sheaths secured to a bracket.
The inner cables are attached (to a modified shift lever...just cut the splined boss off, and weld it in the centre of a bit of 19x5 flat bar), either side of the splined shifter shaft. The distance from shaft centre to cable nipple holes will need to mirror the leverage of the paddles (unless you want a specific advantage)
As of tomorrow, I'll be away for a few weeks, but if you want to email me and remind me, when I get back, I will send you a sketch, if all the above isn't clear.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 1/2/03 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
that sounds great. Where abouts are you I would like to see the work if possible.
ALain

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.