Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: some questions
seakoot

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
some questions

Hello!

I have a question about fitting a bike engine. is it harder than fitting a car engine. What bike engines do you recommend (has to have lots of power). Where do i get the reverse gear ???

can sombody give me the basic information? i'm noob in this field.

thanks

donut

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
As far as i'm aware bike engines are much easier to put in than car engines and theya re easier to plumb up too so i'm told. they give better performance than most car engines and they sound great BUT The thing you have to consider most is if you can put up with driving a bike engined car (BEC). Before you do anything try a BEC and drive it in normal trafic as it's not for everyone.

If you do go bike then the Yamaha R1 seems the best choice for not too much money at the moment.

As for reverse gear, most people (prob 95%) don't bother. Just be careful where and how you park. These cars are so light that you can pull them arround without any bother.

Good luck and don't forget MK are very good where BEC's are concerned!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
seakoot

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
first i'm from estonia and i don't know that here are any BEC. As it is a projekt car i think i don't care how the ride is or is it good to drive in traffic.

Well aren't there any BEC with reverse gear. If that's so then i probably cannot use it, because i won't get through the inspection. (I think) And i wouldn't want to pull or push it in some crowded parking slots

anyway keep the information coming.

thanks.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you need reverse they are availabe, either as a mechanical reverse box that sits in the transmission tunnel (in the middle of the propshaft), or as an electric reverse which usually uses a ring gear on the driveline somewhere with a powerful electric motor (eg starter motor) engaging with it when reverse is required. Do a search in this forum for reverse as its been covered quite a few times

I would agree with Donut that the R1 is flavour of the month, but most 4 cylinder superbike engines of around 900cc or above have been used, Fireblade, Hayabusa, ZX9, GSXR1000, ZX12, Blackbird etc, plus a few V twins etc. Do lots of research on here and on places like the Yahoo BEC list before you make a decision as they each have their advantages and disadvantages (some need dry sumping etc)

Chris

[Edited on 19/11/05 by ChrisGamlin]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/11/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
To answer the part about installation, they are generally no more difficult than a car engine, you have no seperate gearbox to worry about mounting but you need to make up gear linkages etc that you sometimes wouldnt with a car engine install. The electrics are usually straight forward as long as you have the bike workshop manual / wiring diagram to hand, although some newer engines do have anti theft devices built into the wiring so you need to make sure that can be overcome - on most popular BEC engines this will be a known factor so nothing to worry about.
The only thing I can think of that you might want to source from the UK is the prop flange adapter that goes on where the bike sprocket used to live, these arent that costly when bought from the usual suppliers here, but it would probably cost a fair amount to get a machine shop to design and make one up from scratch.

Chris

seakoot

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
The only thing I can think of that you might want to source from the UK is the prop flange adapter that goes on where the bike sprocket used to live, these arent that costly when bought from the usual suppliers here, but it would probably cost a fair amount to get a machine shop to design and make one up from scratch.

I cannot understand whatyou mean by that. Could you please explain it somehow different. Ok and how much does it cost then in UK?

tnx

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
With a front engine'd car, the engine is turned 90 degrees to how it sits in the bike. We don't use chain drive but instead put a prop adapter onto the engine so that a propshaft can be bolted to the engine.

This picture of mine shows the prop attaching to the engine, the prop adapter is the part towards the bottom of the picture that allows these two to bolt together, they are around £60 to buy in the UK so not a huge cost.

R1 Prop angle
R1 Prop angle

Here's a pic of a sprocket adapter:

Chris

daffy

posted on 19/11/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
sprocket. well...imagine a bicycle. what the two pedals are attached to is called a sprocket. and it's connected by a chain to a rear sprocket which is connected to the wheel.

(edit: deleted all the rest of the explanation since chris more than covered me what with his pics and all. pfffft. flashy bastard ;-) )

[Edited on 19/11/05 by daffy]

Smile..........it makes others worry

Hellfire

posted on 19/11/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on our website to see how it all goes together

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.