Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine weight?
NS Dev

posted on 30/1/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Engine weight?

Doing some research.....

can anybody give me any details of the weight of a Suzuki TL1000 engine, vs a gsxr1000 engine.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

froggy

posted on 30/1/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
cant tell you anything about the gsxr but my tl engine with the oil cooler radiator full of water and down pipes with collector box weighs78kg thats on cheap bathroom scales which is actually heavier than the reliant engine/box that its replacing
NS Dev

posted on 30/1/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that.

Not too bad then, should be able to get a pair of them installed under approx 150kg then, which should be ok.

Out of interest, where did you get hold of your TL engine? I'll be looking for a pair of them later in the year and just wonder how easy they are to come by and how much I should be paying??

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

froggy

posted on 30/1/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
that was the easy bit just get some myopic pensioner to knock you off and then keep the salvage
mine made 118bhp at the wheel but its the earliest version they get less powerfull the newer they are.
second gear is a bit fragile and the primary reduction is lower than most fours but ive seen complete damaged bikes go for 700 quid at mansfield auction and 400 quid seems the average on egay for an engine, take it this is for a grasser then?

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/06 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yup!

Last plan, which was "firm" has now gone west!

All set on a Volvo T5 engine, minus turbo, but plus eaton M90 supercharger, mounted transversely with the std Volvo gearbox in the back of a mini or pug 106, but.......................................

then went to the autosport show and saw the 600hp 6.0ltr wildcat engineering transverse V8 BMW mini grasser, and realised my 350hp volvo idea was NOT going to cut the mustard at all!!!

Now I have changed tack and decided to have a think about twin bike engines, as it solves a lot of the transmission problems associated with powerful engines. Everybody is using 4's (mainly R1's, GSXR1000's, blackbirds and busas) though, and half the fun for me is doing something different.

I have seen a couple of Twin - TL1000 cars which compete well at national level, and I think I can build a very light spaceframe mini to sling em in the back of, so that's the revised plan now!

If nothing else, a pair of twins at 10,000 revs does sound good!!

froggy

posted on 31/1/06 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
apart from being down on power compared to the fours i still think the twin has a torque advantage over the fours as roll on acceleration my tl was much quicker than my pals blades,r1 etc. first three gears the whell comes up from 4500rpm with just a tug on the bars where as the four cyl needs a bit of clutch slip and 6k plus to get the front up. not very scientific but true non the less do you race anywhere near me( stoke on trent) im going to have to come and look at these twin engined things in action!
NS Dev

posted on 31/1/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
There's a few tracks not too far from you. I don't really race up your way very often but there are a number of tracks near you.

Leewood Autograss - Castle Hill Farm, Castle Mill Lane, Ashley, Nr Altrincham, Cheshire

North Wales Autograss - Broad Oak Farm, Lester Lane, Broughton, Chester

North Shropshire Autograss - Hinton Hall, Whitchurch, Shropshire

Shropshire & Telford Autograss - Leasowes Farm, Crudgington, Telford, Shropshire

NS Dev

posted on 31/1/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Twin engined thing in action!:

froggy

posted on 31/1/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
just wondering if you use a pair of early tl motors you technically have 240 bhp and 165 lb/ft at 8500 rpm? i imagine some cars are built to a budget and use earlier four cylinder bike motors how does the v4 tl set up compare?
NS Dev

posted on 1/2/06 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmm, not too well I suppose, a pair of oldish gsxr 1100's would make that as std wouldn't they!?

Just like the idea of the vtwins though, but maybe it's not such a good one!

Certainly the few twin vtwin cars out there seem competitive with most at national level, but as they say, a lot depends on the person behind the wheel!!!

Cazzy R

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
NS Dev.
I'd love to see these cars in action during the summer and the tracks you listed previously are all relatively local to me.
Where, on the net, can I find an events calander for the forthcoming season?

Cheers
Bob

Cazzy R

NS Dev

posted on 1/2/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Here ya go:

National Autograss Fixtures 2006

Cazzy R

posted on 1/2/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ta.

Cazzy R

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.