<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a zx9
JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
fitting a zx9

hello all.

(Its a zx9c by the way )

Im starting working through the loom today, to make sure ive understood it and have all the bits i need. In the picture below, i think top left if the CDI, top right is the reg/rec, bottom left is a fuse box and bottom right is a spare box, if memory serves its not off a zx9. Can anyone confirm these parts? Cheers. Rescued attachment bec 001.JPG
Rescued attachment bec 001.JPG

JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
also, ISTR that these parts can overheat when fitted. Is it worth putting a fan on either the cdi or the regulator? Or just put it in the airflow.
Spin8Spin

posted on 26/2/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
The cdi, fuse box and reg/rec are as you said but i haven't got the box in the bottom right on my zx9 c

Matt

Tangerine Scream

posted on 26/2/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
From your picture I have all but the bottom right unit on my car so the spare unit could well be off another bike.

The rectifier unit does get warm, but I've mounted it in a place where it'll get reasonable airflow. The ECU/CDI unit doesn't seem to get warm at all.

HTH
Steve

PS Nice engine choice BTW :-)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
i noticed a few more bits im missing Ive got no fuel pump relay, then again, my car already has a bike pump fitted so i might not change the fueling.

no clocks, not the end of the world for now. It will run without them though, wont it?

Is the fan switch in the radiator? Might just use my existing rad then.

Speedo sender, is this on the engine? Ive found the plug on the loom but no sign of where it plugs in.

There is no clutch cable, just the hole beside the oil filler hole. Where do i get one and how does it all connect?!

Do you use both throttle cables or just one? Extra springs maybe?

How the hell do you get the sprocket off?! Ive tried impact wrench and normal wrench, but it just spins when in gear. Im thinking i need a chain to hold it still.

Sorry for all the questions guys Any ideas?

Tangerine Scream

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
My car starts and runs without clocks (as I stupidly found out when tracing wires with the battery still connected - doh!)

I have no cooling fan. Plumbed as per Ben Marriott's diagram with a cortina rad, it has never overheated, even with prolonged stationary periods.

Speedo sensor takes a feed from a sensor just above the sprocket. Using hall effect of the sprocket bolts, it still works when a sprocket adaptor is in place. The signal, fed through a yellowbox can be calibrated correctly for the bike clocks.

The hole by the oil filler cap should contain a clutch lever arm that actuates the clutch. I have a set of engine drawings that I can send you if you like.

I used only one throttle cable. the second one (to close the throttles) was replaced by a external spring at the carb end. On their own the normal carb springs weren't man enough to shut the throttle quick enough.

I had no sprocket on my engine. I would think that if it was in gear it shouldn't be spinning that easily?

HTH
Steve

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spin8Spin

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
engine does run without the clocks.

fan switch is in the rad.

the speedo sender is in a cover around the front spocket but this weill have to come off to fit the sprocket adapter.

as for the cables i haven't got that far yet i just have a bit of string as my throttle.

getting the front spocket off took me absolutly ages i eventually did it with a 4 foot metal pole with 2 m8 bolts through it with nuts along the length of the bolt (m8 nuts fit the shape of the sprocket teeth very well) and then slotted it on to the sprocket to stop it turning, then hoped i could still fit a socket on the nut. (not the best of descriptions, think i've still got it somewhere so can take a photo if u need it)

Matt

zilspeed

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Makes sure it's in 1st gear - the gearing will assist you in getting the sprocket nut loosened.

Mad Dave

posted on 26/2/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to use the bike clocks I have some in the workshop that are looking for new home
JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
dave, u2u on its way

cheers for the tips everyone else. The bar with bolts seems best so far - in gear it turns the full engine over, even with the impact wrench (which i feel bad using). Thats with the lock tab folded back too.

Wadders

posted on 26/2/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Existing bike fuel pump will be ok.
Yes it will run without clocks.
I use micra rad switch, works fine.
Speedo sender is mounted in sprocket cover, you have to make a bracket for it..
Clutch should have a lever/operating arm fitted into the hole (dont panic i have a spare one)
One throttle cable works fine
Removing sprocket with engine out is fun, but persevere it is possible.
If i was you i'd buy some uprated clutch springs and fit them while its easy to work on. (only about £20)

Originally posted by JoelP
i noticed a few more bits im missing Ive got no fuel pump relay, then again, my car already has a bike pump fitted so i might not change the fueling.

no clocks, not the end of the world for now. It will run without them though, wont it?

Is the fan switch in the radiator? Might just use my existing rad then.

Speedo sender, is this on the engine? Ive found the plug on the loom but no sign of where it plugs in.

There is no clutch cable, just the hole beside the oil filler hole. Where do i get one and how does it all connect?!

Do you use both throttle cables or just one? Extra springs maybe?

How the hell do you get the sprocket off?! Ive tried impact wrench and normal wrench, but it just spins when in gear. Im thinking i need a chain to hold it still.

Sorry for all the questions guys Any ideas?

JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
If i was you i'd buy some uprated clutch springs and fit them while its easy to work on. (only about £20)

That sounds like good advice, but its just another daunting task to do - ive never done any work inside engines/clutches/gearboxes before. How hard?

My engine has no lever for the clutch, in fact, neither does! How much to part you with your spare alan?

Andy W

posted on 26/2/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with EBC springs they are worse than standard. Get barnett ones, I've had no problems with them

Andy

G.Man

posted on 26/2/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
Don't bother with EBC springs they are worse than standard. Get barnett ones, I've had no problems with them

Andy

That applies to the EBC plates as well

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Wadders

posted on 26/2/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Don't panic Joel, they're dead easy to change, just remove the clutch cover, and then swap them one by one, each one is held in by a 6mm bolt. As for the clutch lever, buy me a pint and its yours!

That sounds like good advice, but its just another daunting task to do - ive never done any work inside engines/clutches/gearboxes before. How hard?

My engine has no lever for the clutch, in fact, neither does! How much to part you with your spare alan?

[Edited on 26/2/06 by Wadders]

JoelP

posted on 26/2/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Al! Stick it in ya van, next time you pass marks just leave it with him, you can choose between a pint (or two!) or a drive at teesside if i get it finished!
Wadders

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
No problem, this might also be of interest

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1028

Originally posted by JoelP
cheers Al! Stick it in ya van, next time you pass marks just leave it with him, you can choose between a pint (or two!) or a drive at teesside if i get it finished!

JoelP

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
cheers again, i was trying to remember the name of his site!
mackei23b

posted on 27/2/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

Loks like the fuse box of a ZX(R B series), box on the bottom left of picture

Cheers

Ian

JoelP

posted on 27/2/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mate.

ive now ordered the sprocket adapter. Just wondering what i should use for a clutch cable? I found a lever on the other engine, which is annoying - means that neither engine is totally compete and i'll have to arrange bits.

Theres two pipes that come up between the carbs and join. Anyone know what these are? The fuel pipes are underneath.

Mad Dave

posted on 27/2/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Theres two pipes that come up between the carbs and join. Anyone know what these are? The fuel pipes are underneath

Do you mean the carb heaters?

zxrlocost

posted on 27/2/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
and if your doing the clutch dont forget a new clutch cover gasket '

worth the £10

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

JoelP

posted on 27/2/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
carb heater it might well be, do i keep or ditch?!

Damn, more gaskets... that paper is annoying stuff! Gonna order some barnett springs so i guess i'll have to get a new gasket.

cheers chaps!

kipper

posted on 27/2/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote

Hi JoeLP.
Can you change your avatar? I think it's that that's atracting the white stuff falling here.
Think sunshine
Regards Kipper.

JoelP

posted on 27/2/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
you're right, out with the white, in with the red
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.