Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Propshafts
carlgeldard

posted on 6/3/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Propshafts

Do you need to fit a centre bearing with BEC. I could get away with a straight run but most of you guys seam to use props with 3 UJ's and centre bearings. WHY!!!!!!

Carl

JoelP

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
to spend more! Seriously, i dont know. Id rather have a one piece one myself, to avoid adding a bearing mount.
Jon Ison

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think the general consensus is a two piece prop is a must on a BEC.

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't be strong enought

Joao

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you do the maths on a conventionally made (ie no carbon fibre etc) single piece prop of the length required in a Locost, and also factor in how fast it needs to rotate and you'll likely find its either to large a diameter to fit down the tunnel, or it shakes itself to bits long before you hit terminal velocity

A chap I know had a single piece prop in his Fury ZX9 several years ago and from what I recall he was lucky to escape without injury when the prop self distructed.

[Edited on 6/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

Hellfire

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I also reckon it has something to do with the single donor concept. The Sierra propshaft is useable with little modification and will fit a multitude of engine types.

Phil

[Edited on 6-3-06 by Hellfire]

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
The rotation speed will be the same as a car won't it?

And Carls will be at least 12" shorter than most as he's modded the chassis and the engine is right back and the Phoenix chassis is short anyway.

Direct straight line from prop adaptor to Sierra diff as well.

Is it just the general length that's the problem?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macca

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression it was the issue of weight on the gearbox output shaft.
Col

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Im fairly certain its mainly the length that causes the issue, a prop that long reaches its resonant frequency before the terminal speed of the car unless its quite large diameter. Obviously it doesnt rotate any faster than a car prop assuming the same diff and top speed, but without the long gearbox coming up the transmission tunnel, its nearly twice as long so has a much lower resonant frequency RPM.

If you can shorten the distance enough then I can't see any reason you couldnt use a single prop, I can't see the weight of it on the output shaft being significantly more than a long two piece prop, but might be wrong.

Probably best to give someone like Bailey Morris a call and ask them what length you could safely fit.

[Edited on 6/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hellfire, although it may be the case now, I think the two piece prop "fashion" pre-dates the single donor cars like the Indy etc, so Im not sure its that. A lot of BECs such as mine use a prop with a transit centre bearing for example.

Chris

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sound about right Chris.

I wonder what the terminal length/speed/diameter equation is?

Carl - go for a centre bearing!

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you do a search on the yahoo BEC list there was a veeeeeeeeery long string about this some time back.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats the one I remember along with Pete Osborne's single piece prop horror story. Its a reals shame it's such a bu**er to search and nobody got round to putting it into a searchable database cos there's been some great info buried in there over the last 5 years or so!

Also, just thought, if you've got a live axle then you'll need a sliding joint. This might add additional weight and/or change the resonant frequency making it even less viable

carlgeldard

posted on 6/3/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The prop I need will be only 1200mm long(4ft in old money). I will nip to the prop people in Leeds this week and go with what they say and I assume they will say centre bearing. Plus I thought centre bearing would be safer. it would be better to mod when I get around to fitting a reverse box.

Thanks Carl

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
What reverse box???

Pat...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a web site that does the calculations for you.

Assuming the bike has a 12k red line, 1:1 top gear and a 1.6:1 primary reduction ratio (rough figures), an average BEC prop will rotate at ~7500rpm at top speed

With a 60"/ 5ft long prop (roughly a normal BEC tunnel length), a 3" prop will fail at roughly 5500rpm regardless of the wall thickness. A 4" prop will fail at around 7300rpm so you'd need to use 5" to be safe, failing at just over 9000rpm - but that wouldnt fit down the tunnel on most cars.

If you bring it down to 4ft, a 2" prop which is what most use in a 2 piece setup would fail at ~5500rpm, and a 3" prop fails at about 8200rpm so still fairly close to its resonant frequency at full chat.

All these were using the "1053" material property which was the middle of the two as far as results were concerned. I don't know what material is most commonly used but you can bet that the one that gives higher speeds is more expensive!

Avoneer

posted on 6/3/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris.

Looks like a centre bearing is definately required then.

Pat...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.