Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 end can cat or not?
MartinDB

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
R1 end can cat or not?

I've cut down the pipe feeding my 2003 R1 end can to fit my exhaust, and this is the view.

is it toast?
is it toast?

Is this a cat or just silencing?

Thanks,
Martin.

nitram38

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure, but it does look like a cat. Most exhaust silencers are just a long tube full of holes in the sides.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely a cat in there

Also bear in mind if you weld a flange onto the end of the silencer that the later R1 cans had titatnium inlet and possibly outlet too, so won't weld properly if you try welding it with regular MIG/TIG with steel wire.

zxrlocost

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Im also certain its the cat and most likely will be

back cans as above have a tube with loads of holes at the side

I dont think a bike can with cat is up to the job of the car test though may be wrong

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, the bike cats are very small and free flowing compared to a car cat, so arent nearly as efficient and seem to struggle to get emissions down to the levels needed for SVA

MartinDB

posted on 16/3/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gents,

There's a removable straight section ready to take an extra cat if required (arrowed). Sylva should have one by the time I SVA it.

Image deleted by owner

I'll just be using a clamp to attach the can to the pipe.

Thanks,
Martin.

evo3500

posted on 16/3/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have used this sytem sucsessfully,but you do need an additional cat<my engine was Yamaha thunderace 1000cc.I wound mixture screws all the way in at test station he let me fiddle with it there passed with a litte tweaking kept winding back out quarter a turn at a time this did it.I would also recommend fitting the other cat as near to the manifold as possible to get it really hot and exhaust wrap all the pipes to keep the heat in as the cat works better if it is hot.
He asked me is there anywhere to put the clip from the machine on the ignition system (say no then he will have to test it from reading off youre rev counter) as when i was at sva he put a clip on one of the coil ht leads for the rpm readout it failed this way as bike rev counter showing 5000rpm his machine showing 3000rpm,he agreed to test it from rev counter i would ask for it to be done same way as bike coils dont pusle the same as a car one as there are 2 x coils this is why i think there was a big difference in the rpm readings.

Good luck !

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.