Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade cooling system
the_fbi

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Blade cooling system

Hi

Anybody got any pics showing their cooling system layout/install on a fireblade engined car?

For some reason my 919 engine seems to go round the rear (propshaft) side of the engine via something (not looked closely to see what), whereas all the installs I've seen go straight from the engine to the radiator.

Pic below, what is the "thing" the pipe goes to (centre of pic) and where does it then go off to on the left?

I've not looked closely at all so it may well be the water pump, but none of the pics I've seen show this part, so whats going on?

ta
Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Gamlin Coolant Diagram Services to the rescue

98/99 blade plumbing
98/99 blade plumbing

The seperate casting in the middle of your pic is the thermostat on the RRW/X engine, the "thermostat" housing on the head itself (top right in your pic) is empty on the later engines rather than having the stat inside.

The outlet to the right is your top hose to the rad, the hose going to the left goes to the water pump.

Chris

[Edited on 29/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

the_fbi

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent thanks Chris.

Can you use the earlier stat into the later stat housing?

ta
Chris

chrisf

posted on 29/3/06 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have a pressurized radiator or unpressurized? It makes a difference as to how you plumb your system.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 30/3/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
Excellent thanks Chris.

Can you use the earlier stat into the later stat housing?

ta
Chris

Not sure, it looks like the same casting though so its quite likely, but the earlier engines usually have an additional water hose coming out of the head under the carbs going to the water pump (rather than the one off the back of the seperate thermostat as you have), so you're probably better off sticking with it as it is.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
BTW, as Chris says, plumbing is different depending on your rad type, the above diagram is how I had my original blade rad plumbed in.

Also, I forgot I had this one diagram too, which is how I plumbed in the replacement '97 engine with the extra hose from the head and no seperate stat

pre 98 blade plumbing
pre 98 blade plumbing

[Edited on 30/3/06 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.