Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX9 Sump Chop
locodude

posted on 26/3/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 Sump Chop

The rather marvellous Mr MK has welded my sump for me today and what a great job it is too. The engine now sits 50mm lower and the carb to bonnet gap is about 30mm. I think a cut down std airbox is on the cards.
Check photo archive for more pics.

Jasper

posted on 26/3/03 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job.... Are you gonna have the little feet welded in there for the pick-up to sit on?

If you want an oil temp gauge, then just get him to tap it into the side of the sump.

[Edited on 26/3/03 by Jasper]

locodude

posted on 26/3/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Jasper, I'll either get the feet welded in or drill and tap the flats on the pickup 5mm and screw some setscrews in. These would then be slightly adjustabe and I won't have to be as accurate with the shortening of the pickup. there's no danger of them coming out as they would be trpped between sump base and pickup. Don't think I'll bother with a gauge, the bike don't have one. I'm going to use the Kawasaki clocks too, so much easier.

mdc124

posted on 26/3/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locodude
I'm going to use the Kawasaki clocks too, so much easier.

Only if the speedo is driven off the output sprocket!

You know what I mean!!

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 26/3/03 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's been done by another ZX9/Indy owner so I'm going to give it a go. I can't afford a nice set of caerbont instruments or the time to fit them. I've got the transponder in the loom so at worst I'll need a yellowbox, fingers crossed.

MK9R

posted on 27/3/03 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
We are going to pick up one of the bolt heads on the prop flange (for the kawasaki speedo)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mdc124

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
We are going to pick up one of the bolt heads on the prop flange (for the kawasaki speedo)

is that hall effect? how will it pick up only one bolt and not the others?

quote:
I can't afford a nice set of caerbont instruments or the time to fit them

Errr, talking of Cearbont.... the Tacho is arriving tomorrow

[Edited on 27/3/03 by mdc124]

locodude

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Fetch in on sat I'm sure someone will fit it for you. Could have done with it today when taking the yellow peril for it's MOT(passed with flying colours BTW), it doesn't half scream as you approach 100mph

mdc124

posted on 27/3/03 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I 'ope you still have the odometer disconnected!

It's arriving at MK pre lunch tomorrow - I'm sure 'someone' will fit it too

MK told me 'bout the MOT and the SVA retest (which you have kept v v quiet on this board I may add!).

(Probably) Not coming down this weekend - no point teasing mesel' unneccessarily - I'm off next Friday and if it passes on Monady - I'll take Wed off too.

locodude

posted on 28/3/03 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'll stick it in a corner and cover it up for you. As for the Odometer, it has to be connected for the test. I'm sure it can be reset tho'? call it delivery milage
You are getting a tank of gas for free tho!
As for the SVA/retset etc.. After 4.30 pm I'm off the clock

Ninja

posted on 1/4/03 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Kawasaki clocks

I've used the standard clocks. the original sensor looked at 4 lugs on the sprocket nut so I extended the 4 mounting bolts for the prop adaptor and positioned the sensor to pick up on them. With a 3.75:1 ratio diff(Cortina) this gave me an error of about 45% (reading too fast). I then turned a steel collar to fit over the adaptor and put in 3 trigger lugs, it now reads about 8% fast which for now is fine, as it's already been through the SVA when built originally with the Xflow engine.
locodude

posted on 1/4/03 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of a few pics of the pick-up arrangement?
Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.