Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Drive Flange Bolts
highspeeddirt

posted on 29/3/03 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Drive Flange Bolts

I have a Stuart Taylor front drive flange which is tapped for four M8x20 bolts to connect it to the propshaft. What bolts, i.e. grade and type, should I use for this application? Also, any ideas what torque I need on these. I'm thinking I should go with socket bolts at grade 12.9 but on such a small bolt I don't want to overtighten and risk breaking the bolt. I've got all new bolts from Ford for the diff flange, driveshafts and brake caliper mountings and can use their torque specs, but upfront scares me a little!

Steve

Jasper

posted on 29/3/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I just used standard 8.8 with locknuts, torqued up till they wouldn't tighten any more!

If it's wrong please somebody let me know....

locodude

posted on 30/3/03 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
No problem Jasper as long as they're bolts and not set screws and have a locking device of some sort eg: nylocks. Off the top of my head I think they are 40 or 50mm long but it depends which engine you are putting in?

MK9R

posted on 31/3/03 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Did the same jasper. Torque setting = FT

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
highspeeddirt

posted on 31/3/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I assume you have a different flange to me because there is no room for nuts on the back of mine and also why tap it for M8 if you're fitting nuts.

Anywhy, I saw in the XR4x4 Haynes manual that Ford use Torx bolts on the front prop where it fixes to the final drive flange. I spoke to my local Foad dealer today and these bolts are M8x16 Torx head, class 12.9. They are torqued to 42 to 49 ibf ft. So I shall use these with threadlock. Total cost £1.88 and my peace of mind.

Steve

Jasper

posted on 31/3/03 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, I have an MK £50 drive flange, not threaded. ST will know what to fit in them, it's their flange after all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.