Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air filter for ZX9
Jasper

posted on 7/4/03 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Air filter for ZX9

Visited the fisher fury stand at detling and they used small individual pipercross socks, £32 for the set, combined with a Dynojet kit at £90. Because they have set up a few of these already they know which jet is best, so no real need for a £100 rolling road session, just fit it yourself. Nice helpful chap too!

Gonna be ordering mine this week.....

I'll post some pics in my section tomorrow.

Ben 4x4 Shepperd

posted on 7/4/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
cool, so they know the right setting for the jets with those filters? will it be the same for all zx9s or will you have to slightly adjust for each individual engine?
cheers,
ben

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/4/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
It will always vary slightly due to wear in the carbs / engine etc etc, but it should at least get you in the ballpark and unlikely to do any damage to the engine, but to get the last horse or two, a RR will prob be needed, if you can be bothered .

Chris

Jasper

posted on 7/4/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - that's bascially what the chap said, at least it will run well if not to the complete optimum.
Jasper

posted on 8/4/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Heres the pic Rescued attachment DSCN0064.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0064.JPG

andyd

posted on 9/4/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Jasper,

Those are the sock ones that Stuart and I tried on our fireblade and gave up in favour of a flatter one. The socks were too deformed by the bonnet for us (picture in archive). The flatter filter still gets squashed by the bonnet but not so much that the bonnet is difficult to get down onto the chassis rails.

I've been meaning to upload some pictures and dimensions but I've not had time. I'll make an effort to do so tonight so you can see the difference.

Andy

Jasper

posted on 10/4/03 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
That's interesting, the large flat filter does sit lower then??? I look forward to the picks
Jasper

posted on 16/4/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Fitted my nice flat Pipercross filter this morning, and it JUST fits under the bonnet, with a little squishing on the foam at one end.

Cheers Andy for the recommendation, nothing else would have fitted.

Now just waiting for the dynojet kit to arrive and were getting close to the first fire-up.

MK9R

posted on 16/4/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you cleaned your pilot jets out Jasper (ooh erh!), these aren't replaced and if the engine has been sitting around they are probably full of gunk

jet clean uppics
found the gunk pics

[Edited on 16/4/03 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 16/4/03 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough, I printed out your list of things to do b4 fire-up this afternoon, and I'll be going to get my carb cleaner on the way home,

cheers for the reminder

Jasper

posted on 18/4/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the new pipercross filter all fitted with Dynojet kit, very happy.... now let's hope she starts. BTW MK9R, all the jets were beautifully clean, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks Andy, this is the only thing that would have fitted, and it still touches the bonnet at one end. I couldn't even use the plastic backplate that the trumpets sit on, I got rid of this to give myself those extra few mm, and bolted the ali plate straight to the carbs - lots of fettling need to make it fit flat tho'. Rescued attachment DSCN0088.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0088.JPG

andyd

posted on 18/4/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one Jasper.

Sorry I didn't actually get the photos on the site for you but you seem to have made the right choice anyway.

I've been so busy at work lately that I've not been in the mood for photo editing and general computer fiddling at home as it's my job too so I'm pretty much bored to tears with it. I need to get in the garage more. I've got all next week off so hopefully some major progress to be had with the car.

Andy

Rorty

posted on 19/4/03 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Jasper, I'm not too familiar with the ZX9 setup, but when you describe excluding the plastic back plate the trumpits sit on, does this mean you've also excluded the trumpets?
The trumpets are a very critical part of the system, and omitting them would result in the engine not running correctly, if at all.
Just a thought, but I'm sure you're ahead of me.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 19/4/03 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
No, I've bolted the trumpets directly thro the ali plate into the carbs. Thanks for keeping a check tho' always appreciate - I have been known to do some daft things!
locodude

posted on 19/4/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just for future reference, how many main jet sizes did you go up?

Jasper

posted on 19/4/03 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
On the kit went up all three sizes to the largest (smallest????). Basically the one recommended for high flow filters and larger bore exhausts. It's the one the chap at Fisher Sportscars reconed was right. If you need me to be more specific I can look when I get home at the number.

Mind you, it may not be the best one. Once it's all road legal I'll take it to a RR recommened by Fisher which is local to me.

westindy

posted on 19/4/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pipercross Filter/ dynojet supplier

Who did you buy the Pipercross filter and dynojet kit from and how much?
Jasper

posted on 20/4/03 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pipercross filter and backplate from Burton Power, £65, see blade filter thread for part numbers.

Dynojet from Fisher Sports Cars, but any good bike shop will sell em, £95 +vat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.