Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is a ZX7R bec also possible in the MK indy ?
marcotuinenburg

posted on 8/4/03 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
is a ZX7R bec also possible in the MK indy ?

Iīve been calling for same scrapyards today and found a Kawasaki ZX7R.
The guy told me it has 122 bhp.
I can get it for 1100 euro.
Thatīs with speedo,tacho, carbs, wiring etc. Is a 750 cc engine also suitable enough for an MK indy. There are races in the GB with this kind of engines i thought.
Can someone please tell me more about the engine and is it a good buy ?
I thought itīs a good deal and nice price.

Stu16v

posted on 8/4/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd say no. I dont know if the power claim is genuine or not, but even if it is, there will be next to no power at the bottom of the rev band, which will mean loads of clutch slip to get the car rolling, with a clutch that is likely to be smaller than 900cc+ engines.
Some of the 'bigger' bike engines can be 'finicky' at lower speeds, this will only be compounded by less cc.
This is only my opinion of course......Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/4/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Stu, a 900 is about as small as you want to go for a regular Locost BEC. If you are building a super light hillclimb single seater, then the engine would be fine, and its true that it would fundamentally work in a 420kg Locost. However, it wouldnt be that fast as there is so little torque compared to a bigger engine, and you are asking for gearbox / clutch problems trying to lug around all that weight with a gearbox that is going to be less strong than a larger capacity engine.

Chris

david walker

posted on 8/4/03 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone with a CBR600 engine in his car (17 year old, low insurance) and he has no problems. They put out 100 bhp. The Global Lights GT cars run with 600cc engines and they go well. Autograss has just introduced a category for 600cc bike engined single seaters - and in that sport you need a bit of grunt to pull through the loose.

I'd have thought that a ZX7R would be fine in a Locost, but again that's just IMO. I'd sooner have one than my X'Flow.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/4/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
As I said, it would work, but just not as well, having less power, less torque, and more importantly, less strength in gearbox, clutch etc. The Global Lights and Autograss cars are lighter than a road going Locost, so wouldnt suffer as much with these issues.
If the engine was free then it might be worth considering, but its 1100 euro, which is about Ģ700, so not exactly bargain basement. For that money you could get a vastly more suitable ZX9 or blade engine if you hunted around, or CBR1000 engine for less (about Ģ500)

cheers

Chris

marcotuinenburg

posted on 9/4/03 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
At the scrapyards they all told me that the ZX9R isnīt very reliable.
Itīs also a bit moreexpensive because they are so much asked.
I havenīt heard much about the CBR 1000 only that itīs to heavy for a BEC.

Rorty

posted on 9/4/03 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
A 400cc motor would work too, but why bother?
I agree, you're working against the benefits of a BEC the smaller the engine you fit.
CBR100s were relatively sluggish bikes, but their motors are brilliant in a BEC. They have good reliable horsepower, good box and clutch, and the gearing is good also.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
ZX9 less reliable? Rubbish, he's just trying to sell u an engine. For the sake of another few quid, get yourself a ZX9, your gonna be spending plenty on the car, don't get mean with the engine, get the best u can afford.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/4/03 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed, the ZX9 is a hell of a lot more proven in BEC applications than a ZX7 is, so I don't know what he bases his "ZX9 engines are unreliable" on.
The CBR1000 engine is a little heavier, about 85-90kgs compared to about 60-65kgs for a blade/ZX9, but its a brilliant engine and far better than a ZX7. The extra weight won't really be a factor in the real world, a friend of mine on the Yahoo BEC list had a CBR1000 Striker, and it went like sh1t off a shovel, certainly no slower round a circuit than mine.

Chris

[Edited on 9/4/03 by ChrisGamlin]

david walker

posted on 9/4/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, Whilst posting the reply to the effect that the ZX7R would be OK, I have to agree that at Ģ700 it's over the top on price. In fact I agree with everybody (on this rare occassion!), there are better ways to spend your money.

The CBR 1000 is heavy but a solid and nearly unburstable motor. 125 bhp in std form and fairly tunable. When people are fitting Pintos, RV8s and even Cologne V6's to their Locosts, how can a CBR be too heavy?

Having driven BECs' and owning a conventional Locost I know which I would sooner have! This winter I'm converting to BEC but will probably use a Fireblade.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

marcotuinenburg

posted on 10/4/03 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oke, thanks for your opinions.
I can now look more specific what type of engine i'm gonna buy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.